Movie Night! 'The Spore' and 'Tremors'

It has been 'one of those weeks', this week, and when it's 'one of those weeks'... my reading invariably goes to shit. It certainly did this week, you've probably guessed already given the TV posts over the last couple of days ;o) Bear with me, there may be a couple more to come before the end of the week. I've watched a couple of movies, as well, this week; an old favourite and a movie where the trailer caught my eye a few weeks ago. Which one should we talk about first...?


'The Spore' (2021)

A deadly mutating virus hits a small town in Michigan and is attacking people at an alarming rate. The lives of ten strangers intersect through a terrifying chain of events as the mutating fungus spreads, wiping out everyone that comes into contact with it.

Horror movie villains do evil things and as much as I want the lead to make it through, I can get why the masked killer is doing what they do. There's an element of humanity (even if it is twisted) that is common ground. Deadly fungus though? Something that is only scything through humanity through biological imperative? That shit freaks me right out. There's no rhyme or reason, it's just doing what it has to do, because it has to do it.

That's what got me interested in 'The Spore' and after waiting fruitlessly for a cheap DVD option, I bit the bullet and went digital...

It's clear, right from the start, that someone in production made the decision to funnel the best part of the budget into the body horror effects and you know what? I love that approach. Someone clearly knew what this movie would stand or fall on and made the right call. The end result is a film that looks a little on the 'low budget' side but really nails it, when it has to, with the practical effects. Honestly, 'The Spore' does stuff that you really should see.

It's not just about the effects though. The plot holds up pretty well with interlinking tales of survival playing out against a wider tale of a world in freefall. It's an interesting approach that lends urgency to the plot as well as making the jumpscares more effective when they land. And as I said up the post a bit, I loved that this is all happening for no other reason than that it's happening. Not everything has to be for a reason. You can watch 'The Spore' on Amazon Prime but it will cost you. Luckily for you though, it's worth it ;o)


'Tremors' (1990)

Do you really need the blurb for this one...? Ok, no worries. We'll all be over here when you're done.

Handymen Earl and Valentine are in a fight for their lives when they discover that their desolate town has been infested with gigantic man-eating creatures that live below the ground!

I'd always promised my eldest daughter that I'd watch 'Tremors' with her, when she was old enough, and although she's still a way off being fifteen, I figured she was old enough now ;o)

She loved it and I always enjoy 'Tremors' so this feels like a bit of a lazy way to end this post but I can't help it. 'Tremors' remains a movie with a nice line in gentle humour but can still surprise you with those moments where the Graboids are just starting to make themselves known. And I still love the 'stampede!' bit at the end ;o)

I did realise though that I've never seen the other 'Tremors' movies, I might have to do something about that now...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.