So I watched a whole load of movies over the weekend...

Well, four but it felt like loads! I did manage to get a couple of books read over the weekend (neither of which were 'The God Is Not Willing' but that's the way my reading muse will sometimes go...) but we'll talk about those as the week goes on. Right now, we're all about the movies because I watched a whole load of those too and one of them, well... lets just say that I want to leave this post as a reminder to myself not to watch it again. It wasn't that bad, it just wasn't much of anything really but I'm getting ahead of myself a little. Actually, no I'm not, lets start with that film...


'Crawl' (2019)

A young woman, while attempting to save her father during a category 5 hurricane, finds herself trapped in a flooding house and must fight for her life against alligators.

I really wanted to like this enjoy but the whole 'father and daughter reconciliation' arc just wasn't enough to get me into the film and there wasn't as much alligator action as the film would like you to think. People did die but at no point did you really think that the leads were in any danger, not really. If you see me watching 'Crawl' again, just point me in the direction of this post, thanks ;o)

'Rampage' (2018)

When three different animals become infected with a dangerous pathogen, a primatologist and a geneticist team up to stop them from destroying Chicago.

I'll confess to some bias here... ;o) This is one of my go to movies when I've had a shit week and last week wasn't all that great so on it went. 'Rampage' is possibly one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen and you know what I love about it? 'Rampage' knows exactly what kind of movie it is and just sets out to be as big and dumb as possible. It may be a low bar to reach for but 'Rampage' hits it anyway and is a lot of fun with giant animals just kicking the absolute shit out of everything. And when I've had a rough week, that's all I need.


'Kandisha' (2020)

Three childhood friends invoke the spirit of Kandisha, a vengeful creature from a Moroccan legend. The game turns into a nightmare when their loved ones tragically disappear. The young girls will then do all they can to try to counter this evil creature.

Every so often, I remember that I have a Shudder subsciption that I should really be using for more than just 'Slasher' and 'Creepshow'. 'Kandisha' was what I ended up watching as a result of my remembering, once again, that I'm still not getting my money's worth.

Funnily enough though, I got my money's worth with a movie that may have telegraphed the ending a little too much but, in the leadup, was a decent mix of creepiness and gore (some of the death scenes are just amazing) that was more than enough to keep me watching. If you have Shudder then you could really do a lot worse than have 'Kandisha' on over Halloween...


'Dave Made A Maze' (2017)

An unaccomplished and frustrated artist builds a cardboard box fort in his living room and winds up trapped with a gang of oddball explorers in a fantasy world of his own creation, threatened by booby traps and a bloodthirsty Minotaur.

'Dave Made A Maze' is one of those films where I finish it and realise that while I have no idea what I just watched, I'm really glad I watched it. Part weird horror/fantasy, part comedy and a whole load of really interesting characters that I wanted to see make it through (whether human or the cardboard equivalent). The concept also really spoke to me, we've all been at that point in life where the world is getting away from you but you have stuff to finish before you try and catch up. Or is that just me? Either way, 'Dave Made A Maze' is free to watch on Prime so do just that while you can. You're welcome ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.