Books for the TBR Pile... 'Happy Halloween!' Edition

Although Halloween does lose a bit of the sparkle when you realise that you can just go and buy your own sweets... Oh well ;o) However you're spending it, I hope you have a good one. My evening is going to spent trailing after my kids and making sure that they don't egg anyone's houses if they don't get sweets (that last bit may not be true, or isn't it...?)

That's for later on though. Right now, lets take a look at the books that found their way back to mine this week and it's not a bad selection if I do say so myself :o) Some good examples of what you can find in charity shops, if I don't get there first that is... 


If I see a comic book in a charity shop, I will more often that not give it a go, even though it often means that I end up with duplicate 'Walking Dead' books (dammit!) I've read 'Bad Guy Earth' before but needed a new copy so that was a purchase. I saw 'Pulp' while I was queuing in the British Heart Foundation shop and got my daughter to grab it for me, looks like a really interesting read...

Max Winters, a pulp writer in 1930s New York, finds himself drawn into a story not unlike the tales he churns out at five cents a word―tales of a Wild West outlaw dispensing justice with a six-gun. But will Max be able to do the same when pursued by bank robbers, Nazi spies, and enemies from his past?


It all went a little old school here... I've never read 'The Stainless Steel Rat' (I know...) so when I saw this copy on Greenwich Market, I borrowed a few quid off my daughter (I must pay her back...) and grabbed it. Looks like a quick read so maybe you'll see a post in November? I don't know...
My re-read of 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe' wasn't a big success but I saw 'The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy' in the Red Cross shop, got all nostalgic over the cover and grabbed that as well. It's another quick read so you'll see a post soon(ish).


'The King in Yellow' is one of those books that I've always heard of but somehow never read, hopefully that will change now I have a copy of my own. The 'Bauchelain and Korbal Broach' collection... I'd enjoyed 'The Fiends of Nightmaria' so when I won a tenner on a scratchcard, I thought I'd (re)read the series from the beginning and picked up the 'First Collected Tales'. I'm not going to read the whole thing at once, look out for post on each of the three tales within.

And that's it for this week, not a bad haul if I do say so myself. Anything here that catches your eye or that you think I should bump up the TBR pile? Leave a comment and let me know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.