‘The Walking Dead Volume 32: Rest In Peace’ – Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard (Image)
This is old news to everyone else but for me, ‘The Walking Dead’ comic book series finished a couple of days ago and I’m not sure how I feel about that. I mean, don’t get me wrong, every story has to end sometime and no matter what the reason was here (can you tell I’m still a little cynical?), it was clearly time for it all to come to a close. The story had run its course.
Having said that though, ‘The Walking Dead’ is a story that I’ve
been reading for a long old time now, years in fact. Not just that, it’s a
series that has kept me company through some tough times and now it’s not here
anymore. Despite the issues that I’ve had with the series as a whole (namely
the ‘find shelter, meet this week’s version of the governor, lose someone
special and have to either find shelter again or bolster what you have’ approach),
I don’t mind admitting that I’m sad to see it go. Oh well, that’s what re-reads
are for I guess, that and finding new series to read. Any recommendations?
But I’m clearly getting ahead of myself a bit… Lets take a look at
Volume 32. There will be spoilers by the way, I’m working on the assumption
that I’m the last person to finish the series.
The tensions simmering in the Commonwealth have erupted into riots, on the streets, and Rick is right in the middle of it. Can he resolve the crisis peacefully before a zombie herd hits the streets of the Commonwealth? And even if he can, Rick may just face his toughest test yet in the aftermath…
After a disappointing Volume 31, it was good to see it all come to an end the way it did here; the way it was managed just felt right. What I found really interesting here was that whenever Rick has gone to war, he has always lost someone close to him but here, he is fighting to keep the peace and ends up paying the price for that himself. It had to end that way though… If Rick carried on, the story would have been about him and there was no more story to tell here. It was almost like in order for the survivors to really move forward, Rick had to be put to one side and I can get behind that. Rick’s philosophy can continue to inspire but it didn’t need him to help it along. It had legs of it’s own now and that’s what takes us through to the final part of the book, and the series as a whole, what happened next.
When I’ve had nothing better to do, I’ve often wondered if ‘The Walking Dead’ was Carl’s story more than Rick’s. While Rick has to transition from the old world to this new one, the vast majority of Carl’s life has been the zombie apocalypse and living through that has made him who he is. It’s kind of fitting then that the last word belongs to Carl who now straddles that point between the zombie apocalypse and the new world that is being forged, in no small part due to his father. Kirkman paints an optimistic picture of the future and why not? Everything has been left lying around, all it needs is for the right people to put it back together again. There’s no reason why hope can’t come out of the zombie apocalypse, it just needs people to work together and make it happen; something that Rick was always trying to encourage.
Carl’s experience with Hershel though, introduces a note of
caution that he really wants people to take on board. Don’t forget where you
came from because if you do, you might just end up back there in the future. It’s
a fine line to walk and for now, there are enough people (who remember) to make
sure that it doesn’t happen again. But could it though? Well, that’s where
Kirkman leaves it with an optimistic view of the future that is tempered with
caution. And I think that’s the best place to leave this series. People have
earned this respite but can they keep hold of it? Sometimes it’s good to leave
readers with something a little open ended so that the story stays in your head
for a bit longer. That’s what Kirkman has done here and it’s a great way to
draw a line under things.

Comments
Post a Comment