'MCU Double Bill' Wednesday!

It wasn't how I'd seen today going but sometimes that's just the way it happens and you just have to go along with it... Sometimes you just get a day where you start off by watching 'What If...' and finish by watching 'Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings', and it's the best ;o)

Quick thoughts only, on both, I'm afraid. I'm still buzzing after leaving the cinema and I want to make some sense here, instead of just babbling loads. Lets see if that works out...

'What If... Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?'

It had to happen sometime... An episode of 'What If...?' came along that was just a little bit disappointing. The episode does everything it needs to and it does it all pretty well, no complaints there. Nope, what got me here was that it all boiled down to Killmonger doing more or less what he did in 'Black Panther' only with a slight detour to take in some Tony Stark. So really, they should have called it 'What If... Killmonger did things a little bit differently but more or less the same as he did in Black Panther?' They're really not giving the 'What If...?' part of the show a lot to work with here and for me, it showed.

I'm pretty sure we were due a dud and while 'What If... Killmonger' did supply some nice moments (I'm a sucker for the 'ordinary people stepping up' theme that keeps popping up), it was a dud for me. Here's hoping for better next week.

'Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' (2021)

I'm not going to say too much about 'Shang Chi' because I don't know if you've already seen it or not. What I will say though is that if you haven't seen it yet, do something about that because it was so much fun and a little bit touching, all at the same time. It was jam packed full of some amazing set pieces along with a really well balanced mix of origin story and plot, neither getting in the way of the other. I know we still have 'The Eternals' to come so it's a little early to be making predictions about the tone of this phase of the MCU; I'm not going to lie though, I really hope the rest of this phase is as much fun as 'Shang Chi' was. I've just realised that I love watching heroes who are not going to let the day job get in the way of the really important stuff... ;o) And someone get Wong his own film! He clearly deserves it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.