Books for the TBR Pile... 'Birthday!' Edition

Well, that's another irreversible step towards 50... ;o) Impending mortality to one side though, I had a pretty good birthday thanks :o) I had the day off so after breakfast, I took myself into town and spent a thick old wedge of cash on a bunch of stuff, including cornering three of the staff at the Lego Store and making them look for particular mini-figures in the blind bags... What? It was my birthday and I really wanted a Captain Carter and Zombie Captain America (and a Loki, wasn't too bothered about Vision but I felt like I owed them one...)

It was really good to get into town and for things to be pretty much back to normal as far as all the life happening around me went. Hopefully people can continue to behave themselves and things will keep going down the right path. We'll see... Enough of that though; I spent ages in Forbidden Planet, lets take a look at what I came home with...


I've read a few of the 'Vlad Taltos' books but never picked up the earliest ones, 'The Book Of Jhereg' is my attempt at doing something about that. Not quite sure when I'll get to it but get to it I eventually will ;o) I didn't realise that 'The Best of Glen Cook' was a a thing but as soon as I saw it, I grabbed a copy. I'm a big fan of 'The Black Company' and the 'Garrett PI' books so I'm hoping for some of that here, as well as a gateway into the world of the Dread Empire (which I haven't read). These look like short stories so I can see myself featuring a story every now and then.


'Mexican Gothic' was a Twitter recommendation and I'd been meaning to check it out so that was all the excuse that I needed. Review to come... once I've finished 'Revenge of the Rose' and 'The God Is Not Willing'. And I'm so close with 'Revenge of the Rose'... I actually already have 'Jirel of Joiry' (as a Fantasy Masterwork) but I fell in love with the cover and I'm hoping that this slimmer volume will encourage me to pick it up more. Books don't come much (or any) slimmer than 'The Fiends of Nightmaria' and I'm hoping that you'll see some thoughts on this sooner rather than later.


I'm not going to lie, I should have squeezed this into the photo above but I forgot to include it so 'Iron Axe' gets it's own picture. I wanted to buy a book that I've never read before but one that's a little familiar at the same time, if you know what I mean ;o) 'Iron Axe' and it's tale of a farmboy with a destiny could be that book, we'll see...


'The Goon' was a present from my girls (because they know me...), I've spent an enjoyable couple of days reading this so you can expect a review early next week. I needed to catch up with my 'Hillbilly' series (read my reviews for volumes one and two) but I need to wait for volume 3 to be delivered, and read, before I read 'Red Eyed Witchery'. Hopefully, there won't be too long to wait.


Every so often, I promise myself a regular copy of some comic or another, get annoyed when I miss out on an issue and then just end up getting the trades anyway. Well, that definitely won't happen with 'The Dreaming City' (ahem) I'll do one post for the two issues, honestly... promise! I had to get a copy of 'Stormbringer' though, it looks amazing and just how I remember reading it almost twenty years ago now. Obviously, it will be featured on the blog, just not sure when (what with the rate I'm reading...)

And... that's it for this week. Are there any books that caught your eye or did you spot one and just grimace? Either way, leave a comment and let me know ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.