Quick Thoughts On Movies…

I did have plans to post something bookish today but after my first day back at work, yesterday, I just went straight to sleep last night. God, I’m so middle aged now… But anyway. No book post today then but how about a whole load of quick thoughts on various films that I’ve watched recently? I’ve watched a few over the last week, mostly to recover from being run ragged by my kids. Nothing too strenuous then, just films to unwind to, or have on in the background while I was doing something else. But yeah, I did watch ‘Cannibal Holocaust’ and ‘Green Inferno’ as well and they weren’t relaxing at all. Here goes then, quick thoughts on the way!

 


‘Dead Shadows’ (2012)

Chris’ parents were murdered on the same day that Halley’s Comet was visible from Earth. Eleven years later, a new comet lights up the Parisian sky but as the night goes on, people begin to slowly transform into…

A fun film to watch but, hang on… Wasn’t the heroine killed off early in the film and then found to be alive later on? How did that work? If you saw how she died, you’ll understand my confusion here. Having said that though, the slow transformation of random people and a great mix of CGI/practical effects makes up for an awful lot and I made it to the end on that basis. Not bad, I just want to know how that lady managed to still be alive after what happened to her.

 


 ‘Evil Dead’ (2013)

I know this film gets a lot of flak for not being the original movies but I still like it. The comedy might not be there but the scares and the gore are very much there and I always find it surprisingly watchable. A bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

 


‘Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever’ (2009)

Prime Video currently has this as ‘free to watch’, which is why I ended up watching it, and I suspect it will be like this for a while as surely no-one is going to pay to watch it? It’s got none of what made the first film work, it’s a just a bunch of unlikeable school kids dying horribly while the lead characters yell a lot. (CW: Miscarriage, a particularly bloody one). I do like watching Winston though, typical nerd in a position of power and trying to make the best of it wherever he can. That’s not enough to save this film though.

 


‘Cannibal Holocaust’ (1980)

I found this in a charity shop (no surprise there) and finally got round to giving it a go at the end of last week. It had some interesting things to say about reality TV, and how it exploits the vulnerable, and also how far people are prepared to go in what they watch. And that poor turtle (if it really was killed and eaten, I’m not sure)… Seemed like a lot of lead up to a fairly slender finale though.

 


‘Green Inferno’ (2013)

So I’d watched ‘Cannibal Holocaust’ and figured I’d get the most out of my Shudder subscription and watch ‘Green Inferno’ as well, see how the two compared. I wasn’t expecting too much from ‘Green Inferno’ to be honest, it’s an Eli Roth film so I was expecting a whole load of torture porn basically. And I got plenty of that but was also pleasantly surprised to see that there was some plot as well. I know, right? All together, it made for a surprisingly tense affair and while I’m no hurry to watch either film again, if I had to choose between the two, I’d choose ‘Green Inferno’ over ‘Cannibal Holocaust’. Weird but true…

I think you probably know what I’m into by now, any recommendations for horror movies?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)