'Loki' – Episode Six, ‘For All Time. Always.’


Yep, I know... I'm coming in at around about the time everyone has finished talking about 'Loki' and is in the process of starting to look forward to whatever MCU show is next. My broadband threw one hell of a tantrum, these last couple of days, and I've only just caught up with my work. So here I am, grasping frantically for something new to add. Or you know what? I could just have a bit of a rant instead, couldn't I? I could...

I've really wanted to enjoy 'Loki' and I did (a bit) to start off with. As time went on though, the show started to dawdle and considering this season was only six episodes long... You can't do that, you just can't. But they did and so I went into the last episode of the season, really hoping that a big old rabbit was about to be pulled out of the hat... And it wasn't, unfortunately.

Consider this small paragraph your regular spoiler warning for what is about to happen over the rest of this post. For those of you who were saving all the episodes to watch all at once, this is where you need to duck out, I'll see you later ;o) For everyone else though, lets go.

Loki and Sylvie have pierced the evil purple cloud and are about to find that what lurks within isn't just the person behind the TVA but a question as well. One answer will keep everything the way it is, the other answer could plunge a newly born multiverse into war... Who will choose which answer though? And will either Loki or Sylvie be left standing come the end...?

You know that bit in 'The Matrix Reloaded' where the 'Architect' spends far too long talking and you just want to reach through the screen, give him a good shake and tell him to get on with it? Welcome to my viewing of 'For All Time. Always'. This is the episode where you see Loki and Sylvie's stories unceremoniously pushed to one side so that Kang (he's never addressed by name but we all know it's him) can get his introduction, and loads of it, and start to play his part in the next Phase. Which is fine, it had to happen at some point and he is clearly a big deal. Jonathan Majors is brilliant by the way, I've never seen him in anything else but his portrayal of Kang (a tired Kang who just wants it to be over now) was spot on and I'm looking forward to seeing him appear in more MCU stuff, especially as he'll presumably be playing several variants. Did this drawn out introduction have to happen at the expense of Loki and Sylvie's stories though? I know there's another season on the way but a little less Kang here (and it's not like there won't be other stories where we get to see him) could have seen more time for Loki and Sylvie to develop further. Sylvie in particular, there had to be more to her than just the vengeance but apparently not. Sylvie is just there for the knife thrust that will usher in the next phase. I'm not cool with that, Sylvie deserved more.

So loads of Kang then but it felt like the whole point of the show being called 'Loki' was missed here and that was a real shame and felt like a bit of an anti-climax. I'm hoping that as Kang branches out (no pun intended) into the MCU, the second season of 'Loki' will focus more on Loki(s) and we'll get the development that was missing here. And of course I'm going to watch the second season, no matter what I thought of this one, as there is still stuff that I want to see play out. I know I said this last week but maybe it will all make a lot more sense then and yep, there is a conversation to be had about varying degrees of closure for a single season. It just didn't quite work for me this time round though and I'm a bit gutted about that.

All of my other 'Loki' posts can be found Here if you fancy a read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.