‘Elric at the End of Time’ (Grafton)


No, not the whole book; just the short story of the same name. Nothing against ‘Sojan the Swordsman’ (which I may look at another time) or Catharz (just a little bit embarrassed that I didn’t get all the little jokes last time I read it); they’re cool but they’re not Elric. And I’ve already reviewed ‘The Last Enchantment’ (over Here if you’re interested). Nope, we’re all about Elric’s adventures at the End of Time today albeit in a slightly shorter post than normal, the story is only a very slender fifty three pages long. I’m using the Grafton edition as this was the first ‘Elric’ book that I picked up all those years ago in my first year at high school, which I think makes ‘Elric at the End of Time’ the second ‘Elric’ story that I read after ‘The Last Enchantment’. Wikipedia told me that this story is next, in the reading order, and I’m never one to argue with Wikipedia so here we are.

But enough of me leaving these not very subtle notes to myself in the event that my memory goes completely… Let’s have a little chat about ‘Elric at the End of Time’…

 A sorcerous battle has left Elric trapped on another plane. Stormbringer’s attempts to return him home only land Elric somewhere far stranger. Elric must fight to survive if he is going to escape.

The denizens of the End of Time were stuck for something to do until they came across an archaic looking albino waving a black sword about. Now they have a guest and must entertain him.

 Una Persson, of the Time Agency, is the only person who knows how this will all end and that it spells nothing but trouble for the universe as a whole… What will she do…?

I have a copy of ‘The Dancers at the End of Time’ (the sci-fi masterworks one) on my shelf but have somehow never got round to reading it. I really need to read before tackling ‘Elric at the End of Time’ again as there is clearly a whole load of backstory and world building (actually, the world building is pretty much constant here) that I’m sure would take on new meaning with a little bit of ‘extra credit’ reading. As it is, there is something a little naïve about the inhabitants of the End of Time, with their well meaning attempts to give their lives some meaning and their eagerness to embrace something new and their eagerness to please their new guest (Elric), that makes me chuckle but yeah, I think this is a story that rewards those who have read ‘The Dancers at the End of Time’ first. Although having said that, there’s still plenty of fun to be had in watching the inevitable misunderstandings between Elric and his new ‘friends’, everyone on their very best behaviour but still managing to make idiots of themselves.

 But we’re here for Elric aren’t we? Well… Despite coming up against some very dominating characters, Elric more than holds his own as his air of ‘doomed gravitas’ sits very well in the midst of a group who are easily as pretentious as he is. What’s interesting though is how he holds up as a hero (if at all). He certainly doesn’t take centre stage here, as Mrs Persson is the person who actually solves the issue behind the  pressing emergency. Elric is willing to lend a hand to rescue Mistress Christia but then we find out that he’s 99% sure that it’s all some kind of game and that the only reason he’s playing is that he might be able to use a ‘favour owed’ to get himself back home. I think I’m going to have to accept that Elric isn’t a hero (for now, at least) but he will do good deeds though and sometimes, that’s all you’re going to get and that’s fine.

 I think the ending carried the only way that Elric would/could leave the End of Time’ but that didn’t stop me feeling like I’d seen it coming (and to be fair, I have read it before so I kind of did anyway). There’s a nice little twist though, right at the end of the story, that’s worth hanging around for. ‘Elric at the End of Time’ isn’t your average ‘Elric’ story but ends up being fun in a whole load of ways that don’t involve swordfights although. It’s a nice, quick, read as well which is always good these days. My next ‘Elric’ book will be ‘The Weird of the White Wolf’ and I’m not quite sure when I read it. That didn’t really surprise you though, did it…? ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.