'Creepshow Season 2, Episode 3: 'The Right Snuff/ Sibling Rivalry'


It feels like whenever I look on Prime (which is far too often but that's another story...) there's another new episode of 'Creepshow', all bright and shiny and ready to be watched. And that's always cool, don't get me wrong, but I'd love it even more if I could pin down the exact day that a new episode drops. What I like to do is give myself little things to look forward to in the week; like a new episode of 'The Falcon and the Winter Soldier' for example, that's my 'Friday Treat' :o) If I knew when to expect a new episode of 'Creepshow', that would be another day where I could reward myself for making it through. Oh well, it's not the worst problem in the world to have :o) Lets get down to business.

I've enjoyed what I've seen of Season 2, so far, but for me, the show hasn't quite hit the heights that Season 1 did. Nothing so bad that it would stop me watching (me and horror anthologies, right?) but just a nagging feeling that things aren't quite as good as they could be. Until now that is, apparently three is the lucky number...

First up was 'The Right Snuff', a tale of first contact and murder (not necessarily in that order though) in the cold depths of space. This was a great mix of 'in space, all you have are your own thoughts and they will drive you mad', gravity as the murder weapon (which looked great and was just what this story, and 'Creepshow' as a whole, needed) and a great twist where you will only see half of it coming. Joe Lynch makes great use of a limited set (to be fair, there are only so many places that you can go on a spaceship) to really bring out the feelings of claustrophobia, that can get to anyone, along with the sense of infinite space, outside, that's far greater than we will ever be able to comprehend. You might know that something bad is coming but the pleasure here lies in finding out just why it's bad and what the twist is that leads to it. 'The Right Snuff' also feels like a bit of a new direction for 'Creepshow' (first episode in space?) and that's never a bad thing.

And then it was onto 'Sibling Rivalry' where Lola is sure that her brother is trying to kill her but cannot convince her high-school counsellor. The truth though, is far stranger...

'Sibling Rivalry' is one of those episodes where I really don't want to say too much in case I give the game away. The twist may not be a big surprise but the way this episode gradually reveals it is masterful and much of that is down to Maddie Nichols' 'Lola' being unable to stick to the story without going off on an inappropriate tangent. It's really funny to watch and it's a great way to deflect from what is going on right in front of you. What you ultimately get is a story that's cleverly told (with a little, okay a lot of blood in all the right places) with a real sense of fun to it that makes 'Sibling Rivalry' all the more accessible. I'm probably going to watch it again, it was that good.

So 'Creepshow' looks like it's back on the right path for now; I'm just hoping for more of the same whenever the next episode makes an appearance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.