'Watchers of the Throne: The Regent's Shadow' – Chris Wraight (Black Library)


Living in a small flat, like I do, makes a lot of books seem like even more books when they're on the shelves, on chairs, under the bed (still...) and so on... And the strange thing about this is that books can hide in plain sight. Seriously... If I don't read a book straight away then it goes on a shelf (or wherever) and becomes just another book amongst a multitude of books. It's not the worst problem in the world to have but it does get a little embarrassing when you're looking for a book and it was literally right in front of you the whole time...

This is all a slightly longwinded way of saying that 'The Regent's Shadow' has been sat in my flat since last November and I completely forgot about it until the other day when I read 'Bloodlines' wanted more by the same author and thought, 'hang on a moment...' And would you believe it...? 'The Regent's Shadow' was hiding in plain sight the whole time ;o)

I read 'Watchers of the Throne' back in December 2019 and I loved it. 'The Regent's Shadow' was long overdue a read but I read it and it's just as good as its predecessor. Long time readers will know that I'm a fan of Chris Wraight's work so you might want to bear that in mind as we go. It's safe to say though that if you enjoyed 'Watchers of the Throne', you'll have just as much fun with 'The Regent's Shadow'.

As Guilliman, Regent of Terra, heads off to lead the Indomitus Crusade, he leaves behind a world still in turmoil, beset by cult activity. Stripped of its huge armies for the galactic offensive, recovery is precarious. The Custodians do what they can while keeping the Palace secure, and the Sisters of Silence rebuild their citadel on Luna. When the warship Phalanx returns, it seems that stability will at last be assured. However, as reconquest forces push out further into the slums, they come across signs that another mysterious foe is active. The truth dawns – not every enemy is corrupted by Chaos, for there are many on Terra who do not share Guilliman’s vision of a new order and the prospect of a Terran civil war looms...

Guilliman really should have hung round a bit longer before heading off on the Idomitus Crusade... Parts of the Throneworld are still burning and the cultists outside the palace walls are only slightly less vicious than the High Lords fighting for their vision of the Imperium and what it must represent. This is the scene that Wraight gives us, as a starter, and he backs it up with a plot that twists and turns like the perilous alleyways of Holy Terra. Once you get started, the plot scoops you up and leads you down some dark paths with no time to stop for a breath. Not that I wanted to, the plot more or less demands your attention with the promise that if you're not fully focused then you will miss something important. I thought I knew where things were going but was proved wrong more than once. That's what you're up against here, careful reading is the order of the day. 'The Regent's Shadow' is basically another detective story, just like 'Bloodlines', but the stakes are far higher. And there are Space Marines too, more than Chapter in fact, which means short, sharp bursts of violence to punctuate the mystery. It's all there.

If there was one thing that I didn't get on with, it's the continued presence of Aleya, now a Knight Centura and still just as inaccessible a character as ever. I mean, I get it; Aleya is meant to be someone you can't feel any empathy for, that's the whole point of her being who she is. It doesn't make her any easier to follow though and although I did, I'm not going to lie, I was secretly waiting for the Valerian and Jek chapters to come round again. I did a lot better with those two, Valerian is all about the Imperium's need to change (and that's something I love to see pored over) while Jek is this book's Tieron but with a little added exploration of how even the smallest player can make a difference, often despite themselves. I love Jek actually, she never gives up and that is what this universe is all about, right at the heart of it, fighting to the last. It's heartening to see this attitude come out in what is probably the least of our players. She's not at Tieron's level yet but if this series continues, I fully expect Jek to surpass him.

And that's the thing. 'The Regent's Shadow' ties everything up neatly but you can see where the story might continue, whether it's in the void or on the Throneworld itself. I'm hoping for the latter (it's a great setting to visit) but I'd happily take the former if it meant more Valerian. Definitely a good read then (a great read actually) and I'm hoping that there's more to come. If you haven't read 'The Regent's Shadow' yet, hooray! I'm not the last person to read it :o) Seriously though, if you enjoyed 'Watchers of the Throne' then don't hang about any longer. Do yourself a favour and pick this book up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.