'WandaVision' – Episode Nine, 'The Series Finale'
Before we get started, if you haven't seen 'The Series Finale' then you might want to step back now and return once you've watched it. There may be a few little spoilers slip out here and there. You've been warned...
And before we go anywhere near the episode itself, I'm going to just come straight out and say that both my theories ended up being completely wrong, couldn't have got it more wrong in fact :o) I thought that we'd get Vision back in his own body and... yep, got that wrong. I was also expecting to see an Avenger (okay, Dr. Strange) on site but in disguise until they were needed. And... I got that totally wrong as well. Although the mid-credit scene showed that I was on the right lines. Moving forwards though, I will more than likely be keeping my 'theories' to myself in future ;o)
So, that's that for 'WandaVision', a show that remained on an upward trajectory the whole way through until today when... Despite a downbeat ending, the show did it again, be absolutely amazing that is. Of course it was, it couldn't really have been much else. Okay, they could have done a lot more with Quicksilver but that's a minor quibble really when you look at what the rest of the episode managed to do; tie up loose ends from the show and set the scene for at least one movie. You can forgive it for not doing some things, especially when it was for a character that I suspect only I was there for...
For me, 'The Series Finale' was all about facing up to grief and somehow finding the strength not to let it go, but to move past it and not let it define you. Does Wanda manage this? I think so but it's a fine line that we're walking here. Wanda is able to let Westview (and the idea of Westfield as a refuge) go but only when she is faced with what she is doing to it's residents. They are literally living her nightmares and Wanda can see that only she should have those. There is a question though as to what her newly awakened powers will lead her to do in the future... Like I said up the page a bit, 'The Series Finale' is great at giving us closure but it is also great at asking those questions that will be answered a way down the road. I'd say that as interesting as Wanda's character has become (she was under used in the MCU movies up until now), I think there's a lot more good stuff to come down the line.
So an episode of closure and questions then but also an episode where all the cool stuff, that you'd expect to see in the MCU, happens as well. Agatha and Wanda fight! And if that's not enough, so do Vision and Vision! My theory, about getting Vision back into the real world, may have fallen down hard but the fights looked great (and that was just what I needed at eight in the morning when I was trying to wake up) and the theorising from both Visions was a welcome moment of clarity in the middle of the storm.
To be honest, I don't know what else to say that won't have already been said, a lot better, elsewhere. 'WandaVision' has been a real breath of fresh air in a franchise that has felt at a bit of a crossroads since the 'Thanos' storyline ended. 'The Series Finale' felt like the perfect way to draw a line under this season; it's an episode that isn't afraid to tackle the hard stuff but does it in a particularly sensitive way that lets you know that you're not on your own feeling like this.
If this is the standard for future MCU TV shows then I think that the future is looking bright, don't you?
You can read all my other 'WandaVision' posts over Here.

Comments
Post a Comment