Books for the TBR Pile... 'Mistimed Nap' Edition

Today's post is coming at the silent and slightly creepy world of 'Two in the morning, in my flat'. I fell asleep far too early, last night, which led to me waking up far too early and now here I am, waiting for sleep to catch up with me again. It'll happen and it's not like I need to be anywhere in the morning ;o)

In the meantime... How's it going? I've had a pretty good week, reading wise, and I'm looking forward to spending a large chunk of today finishing off 'The Living Dead' (which if you're a zombie fan then you've already read it but I'm highly recommending it anyway) and maybe catching up with some DVDs that I've been meaning to watch. We'll see how the day goes.

Before all that though, lets have a look at the books that have arrived this week... A couple of them are all about a little 'reading nostalgia' while the other... Look, it had a nice cover...


We had a community library, at my old high school, so while most of my 1st year class were happy to be shown round the more age appropriate sections, I headed straight for the adult sci-fi section and the 'war' shelves where I came across Sven Hassel and his brutal tales of a German Penal Battalion in the Second World War. It's been a long time since I read any Sven Hassel (over thirty years, god I feel old) but I was listening to Breakfast in the Ruins cover 'Wheels of Terror' (Part One) and thought, I need to check those books out again. I'm still waiting for my copy of 'Wheels of Terror' but 'O.G.P.U. Prison' looked like a safe bet and I fancied re-reading 'Monte Cassino' again so one Amazon order later... At least one of these books will have a post here sooner or later, I just haven't decided which one. Or maybe I'll wait for 'Wheels of Terror' to show up and read that first, I don't know.


I really don't know what happened here. Actually, I do... I'd had a rotten afternoon at work and was mooching through Amazon when I came across 'Later'. The cover looks gorgeous (I'd love a poster of it) and the book was on offer, at the time, so I just grabbed it. Here's the blurb,

SOMETIMES GROWING UP MEANS FACING YOUR DEMONS

The son of a struggling single mother, Jamie Conklin just wants an ordinary childhood. But Jamie is no ordinary child. Born with an unnatural ability his mom urges him to keep secret, Jamie can see what no one else can see and learn what no one else can learn. But the cost of using this ability is higher than Jamie can imagine as he discovers when an NYPD detective draws him into the pursuit of a killer who has threatened to strike from beyond the grave.

I'm just enjoying looking at the cover right now but will get to the book itself... Later... (sorry, actually I'm not sorry!)

And that's it for new books this week, I think there will definitely be some interesting stuff coming out of these reads but we'll have to wait a little while for me to get to them. How about you though? What have you bought over the last week? Or are you waiting on payday like I am (only a few more days...)? Leave a comment and let me know ;o)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)