'WandaVision' – Episode Five, 'On A Very Special Episode'
It's pretty much the promise of 'WandaVision', on a Friday, that gets me through the rest of the week at the moment. Too much work and not really enough time to get it all done. And then it's Friday and none of that matters as I get the chance to watch something come together that's really special. Can you tell that I'm a bit of a fan...? Well, I am :o) I'm loving the show and make no apology for it at all. You may want to bear that in mind, as you keep reading, though, I'm not feeling particularly impartial today, especially after that ending. Let me tell you about it...
Before I do though, a word of warning... I'm going to try and avoid spoilers for 'On A Very Special Episode' but we've all had a week to watch 'We Interrupt This Program' so I'm not going to try that hard to avoid spoilers there. If you're still reading by this point, I'm going to assume you're fine with that. So, what are we waiting for then? Lets go.
As SWORD try and work out what to do from outside the anomaly (oh go on, the 'Hex'), Vision is encountering more and more signs that something is seriously wrong on the inside. Vision won't let the people of Westview suffer, not even when he has two twins who 'age up' at the slightest sign of upset; him and Wanda are about to have a showdown...
Every time I think 'WandaVision' just has to have peaked, the show runners seem to take a real delight in showing me that I thought that far too soon. It's all over the internet but I'm still not going to say it here ;o) Lets just say that the ending... Wow, that ending... Not only does it raise even more questions for the show to answer, it raises some massive questions over the future direction of the MCU itself. Well played 'WandaVision' show runners, well played. Talk about a cliffhanger but the absolute best kind of cliffhanger you could ask for.
But I'm getting ahead of myself a little bit, the rest of the show is great too. Not only does it continue to ask the right questions but it has picked the best time to tell us that relationships are starting to fracture, even as new ones are created. Interesting that these fractures are appearing on both sides of the Hex as well. Makes you wonder if this is the early rumblings of something that will span the whole MCU...? I'm already hearing about links with the new 'Dr. Strange' film, which would make absolute sense, just imagine if that wasn't the only link. How cool would that be?
I really can't stay on-topic today and that is what this episode does to you, makes you broaden your MCU horizons. At a slightly more 'local' level though, 'On A Very Special Episode' is also an intriguing mix of the creepy (if you've seen it, you know the bit I mean) and the 'heart string tugging' moments where Wanda has to face that her powers won't solve everything and that means the people she loves will hurt all the more for it. Still not a hundred percent sure that Wanda's the villain of the piece although she's not doing herself any favours in her interactions. At the same time though, you can't help but feel sorry for someone hurting like she is and willing to do anything to escape that. Four episodes left, I think, lets see where it goes.
We're not on the home straight yet but you can tell it's approaching fast now. 'WandaVision' just gets better each week, I can't wait to see what happens next.

Comments
Post a Comment