'Fido' (2006)


I wouldn't say that I've watched every zombie film ever made but I'm trying my hardest... ;o) What I would say is that I've seen enough zombie films to know that I'm after something a little different now which may seem a little odd (seeing as zombies are, well... zombies) but that's where I am with it. I've got no idea what 'a little different' actually means but I'll know it when I see it. And I certainly did when I saw 'Fido'.

'Fido' is one of those films that has consistently flown under my radar for several years now, more than likely because I'm probably the only person who doesn't find Billy Connolly's stuff that funny (there, I said it). It's a zombie film though so when Twitter suggested that I give it a go (thanks @oretinker), of course I did.

When the Earth passes through a mysterious cloud of space dust, the massed ranks of the dead arise from their graves with a craving for human flesh. Just when it seems the human race is doomed, scientists at the aptly named ZomCom Corporation create a collar that takes away the zombies primal urges, allowing them to be tamed and used as domestic help. When Helen Robinson decides to purchase one of the zombies to impress their new neighbours, her initially sceptical son Timmy treats his new friend like a dog. Soon however, Fido and Timmy develop a friendship, of sorts, that is severely tested when Fido's collar malfunctions and Timmy's neighbours find themselves on the menu.

I believe that all the best zombie films are not about the zombies at all; it's how they make the survivors act (in any one of a number of situations) that makes for a good zombie movie. 'Fido' does this brilliantly, looking at how domesticating zombies might impact the living, as see through the lens of nineteen fifties America. One of the best examples of this is in Helen Robinson discovering her own identity (as someone who is more than 'just a housewife') through her developing relationship with Fido. It does look a little weird on the screen but it's a great illustration of how underlying tensions, in nineteen fifties American suburbia, might be brought to a head through the introduction of something new. That's what I saw anyway. People change and so do zombies. That's not something I ever thought I'd write but here we are, thanks to Fido.

'Fido' is also a coming of age story as we see shy Timmy gradually come out of his shell through spending time with a new friend, probably his only friend. Timmy goes from being someone who stays out of sight to someone who redefines his relationship with his absent father and someone who will stand up for himself and do the right thing. Not only is that quite the character arc (for ninety minutes worth of movie) but the film finds the time for Timmy to accomplish all this through the kind of 'comedy of errors' that could only happen to an awkward pre-teen. I love a good 'comedy of errors' and watching Timmy and Fido get deeper into trouble, despite their best efforts, made me laugh at all the right moments.

Like I said, I'm not a big fan of Billy Connolly but I couldn't help but warm to his portrayal of a zombie with a little more to him than most. Connolly's facial expressions were spot on (which was great, considering he could only grunt...) and he was probably the first zombie, since Bub in 'Day of the Dead', that I've cheered on. Fido deserves it :o)

'Fido' was nothing like I was expecting which was the main hurdle that it needed to clear for me. If you've ever wondered what a life with domesticated zombies looks like, 'Fido' is definitely your answer. 'Fido' is more than that though, it's a surprisingly sweet story about friendship and doing the right thing by your friends, even if they've just eaten your neighbour. I can get behind that :o) Definitely a film worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.