'WandaVision' – Episode Three, 'Now In Colour'


Just some quick thoughts today as it's been a busy , sleeping for half of the days counts, well... kind of and I'm not ashamed (well, a bit ashamed) to admit that I've just looked at the clock and seen the time... So no time for anything in-depth today, not that I'm a particularly 'in-depth blogger' at the moment, more of a quick 'here are my thoughts' thing. And before we get started, one of those thoughts is 'doesn't it feel like the end credits are almost as long as the episode'? Seriously, it's like Marvel are so used to doing film credits that they've forgotten that they're actually doing TV. Who's going to tell them, you or me?

There you go, that's your warm up thought ;o) Lets get on with the rest of it...

Wanda is pregnant and not only are things moving quicker than anyone expected, it's playing merry hell with her powers. Vision is busy being an expectant father but he's starting to realise that there's more to life in Westview than he thought... Until Wanda gets involved...

Well, we're three episodes in and I'm officially at the limit of my knowledge of old American comedy. I've heard 'The Brady Bunch' mentioned as an influence here but to be honest, I'd have to believe it in the absence of knowing any better. Can anyone conform said 'Brady Bunch' influence? There's definitely a sit-com vibe though continues to drive the show, both in terms of the immediate concerns and the fact that there's something weird going on in the background.

And that is the big reveal, for me anyway; Wanda not only knows more than she's letting on but she is prepared to go to some lengths to keep things just as they are. The overall mystery is still playing out but I can't help but wonder if they've shown their hand a little too early here. Of course I'm going to keep watching (there's no question of that); I guess we'll have to see if things go at the same pace or if it's dialled back/ played with in order to keep the mystery a mystery. It may even be a case that the mystery isn't actually the point of the show. It could be that revealing the problem is the route to solving it, and that's the real point of the show. We'll have to see. It's weird to think (as it feels like I've been watching 'WandaVision' forever already) but there are only six episodes left. There's a lot to get done then.

I think what I got out of this episode is that there's another side to Wanda and it's actually quite scary to see just what she will do to keep things as they are. Which leads us to ask just why she is prepared to go to these lengths. What happened to her between 'Endgame' and 'WandaVision'? Of course we're going to find out but in the meantime, the mix of what Wanda is getting up to and what lies outside Westview is a nice little tension builder and another reason why I'll keep watching.

I told you this would be a quick one, I'll try and do a little better next week ;o) What I'd say is that although I'm missing out on some of the comedy 'Easter Eggs' (and you might too, I don't know) there's still enough going on in 'Now in Colour' that it doesn't matter. Maybe they've revealed things a little early but 'Now in Colour' raises other questions, at the same time, which have me looking forward to next Friday already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.