'WandaVision' – Episode Four, 'We Interrupt This Program'


It's been a monster of a week this week; nothing major, just everything happening all at once and needing to be sorted out all at once. You know what, I got through it and dealt with the most important stuff needing to be dealt with (without losing any more hair from my poor balding head). That's a win for me, as far as I'm concerned, so onto the weekend! :o)

Before that happens though, we all know what else Friday is good for. Yep, it's 'WandaVision' time, an event that, for me, has well and truly overshadowed all the good stuff about 'The Mandalorian'. Yes, even Baby Yoda... The first three episodes have been all about setting a really weird scene, a cozy sit-com world that just doesn't seem quite right. What happened? And given what we already know about Vision... What happened and what is going on? Well, 'We Interrupt This Program' gives us a few clues and raises a few more questions at the same time...

Before we kick off, I'm aware that this episode is less than a day old so will try my best to avoid spoilers. I'm going to assume though that people have now seen last week's episode so now would probably be a good time to duck out if you haven't...

Do you remember me saying that I thought the creators of the show has shown their hand a little too soon? That the answers were coming too quickly? Well it turns out that I was half right. 'We Interrupt This Program' pans out to answer a few questions but cleverly balances that with a whole load more questions that have left me impatient for next Friday. It's no secret that Wanda has something to do with all this, but why...? And is it me or have her powers gone through some mighty evolution to do what she can do now? How is she controlling... No, I won't say that just yet... All questions that will be answered at some point in the future but talk about bait on the hook... I was always going to watch 'WandaVision' but now, there's no way that I wouldn't.

Loads of questions then that will drive the plot forward and I'll happily admit to being wrong, the answers we do get feel like they have arrived at exactly the right time. I think there's some pretty masterful storytelling going on here.

It's not just the questions though, 'WandaVision' has always been willing to tread new ground in the MCU and this week we get just a little bit of horror. It made me jump and it made Wanda jump too, maybe there's a way back for her yet.

What this episode really gives us though is a look at the wider world, of the MCU, and how it has coped with life 'post Blip', the opening in particular really leaves us in no doubt what people suddenly appearing out of dust does to the people who thought their loved ones had gone forever. Teyonah Parris' 'Monica Rambeau' really shines here, I just couldn't take my eyes off her reactions to what she had come back to.

And with that, 'We Interrupt This Program' not only advances it's own story but folds itself into the wider MCU pretty much seamlessly. Not only that, it also gives us the return of Agent Jimmy Woo (who I had a bit of a soft spot for in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp') who has finally mastered a little magic of his own... It's the little moments like this that get me, not just the big stuff.

So, see you next week for Episode Five. I can't imagine anyone not watching this already but if you haven't, get on it right now. Seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.