A Day At The Movies...

The plan was get loads done today, read a book and post a review for another. What really happened though... Well, I slept in late (really late), replied to the wrong email from my home insurer (having a go at them after they'd apologised, well done Graeme...) and then just wasn't in the mood for reading or posting at all. My mental health isn't brilliant at the moment and there's nothing like coming across as a complete arsehole to make me just curl up in bed and do nothing much for the rest of the day.

Well, I say 'nothing much' but I did watch a few movies over the afternoon and evening; part of my trawling the depths of Prime Video to see if I can find anything, free to watch, that's half decent. Or absolute garbage, I'll take either :o) I made it through three movies today, ranging from asolutely awful to 'I loved it' (that was a bit of a cheat as it's a favourite of mine, the other two weren't great though and I had to watch something good). Here are some quick thoughts on the three...


'Jurassic City' (2015)

Bloody hell this was an awful film... Three friends get locked up in prison on the night when a guy lets a whole load of dinosaurs loose to help his bid to become US President... If it wasn't for the fact that Trump would do exactly the same thing (if he thought it would keep him in the White House), this movie would be completely unbelievable. As it is, 'Jurassic City' is only slightly unbelievable... ;o)

There are some tense moments in the prison, all of which are ruined by the 'bad CGI' dinosaurs. It's all very well having actors who really try and get into the spirit of it but if you don't have decent dinosaurs then why are you bothering? There is a reason why this movie will always be 'free to watch' on Prime, don't bother with it.


'Daylight's End' (2016)


Now this was a bit better... A post apocalyptic tale of, erm... vampires? I'm not sure what they were, they did burn up in the sunlight but you were never sure if they were drinking blood or just plain eating their victims. A group of survivors are helped by Johnny Strong's mysterious drifter who hangs around long enough to do the necessary and then drives off into the sunset to kill more vampires. The drifter is cool but not as interesting as the film clearly wants him to be. As a result 'Daylight's End' is fun to start off with (loads of vampires chasing survivors through a prison) but became a chore to watch as the movie went on. I watched it through just to see if the drifter would kill the Alpha vampire (which of course he did) and wondered why I'd bothered. I know that I watched it, and I know that I enjoyed bits of it, but I'm struggling to remember much of 'Daylight's End' to tell you about and that should tell you everything you need to know.


'The Void' (2017)

I'll be straight with you, I love this film and after having watched two rubbish/unmemorable movies, I thought I deserved a little treat. A half hospital becomes the scene of something Lovecraftian and that sense of bewilderment, from the leads, is what I love about 'The Void'. Sometimes, evil shit happens and despite there being a very talkative high priest, you never really understand why. 'The Void' does that really well, that and the body horror. We're talking tentacles, bodies being digested and experiments that want to die... but aren't allowed to, no matter what they do. The end result is a movie that unsettles you and then makes you want to throw up a little, and our three leads never really find out why. I love 'The Void' and it's free to watch, on Prime, so give it a shot if you haven't already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.