'The Mandalorian, Season Two' – Episode 9: 'The Marshal'


It's been a long time coming (well, only since May but it feels like forever...) but welcome back, one and all, to 'Mandalorian Mondays'; at least until this Season finishes. That's long in the future though. For now, lets just be glad that 'The Mandalorian' is back because Season One was brilliant wasn't it? I thought so. It felt like a mix of the original Star Wars movies and that 'lawless frontier' vibe that was hinted at, in the films, but we only really saw in the books and comics. The best of both worlds then? Definitely.

Can Season Two match all of that though? Well, it's early days of course but after watching it over the weekend, I think the signs are looking pretty promising already. I'll try to avoid spoilers but there may be points where that isn't possible so, be warned...

The Mandalorian has been tasked with returning the child to it's people but it's a big galaxy out there, where are they and where should he start looking. Rumour of another Mandalorian sends our Mandalorian back to Tatooine to hunt for this mysterious figure and any clues about his own quest. What he finds though will send him on another quest entirely and maybe even bring two warring peoples together...

To cut a long story short, 'The Marshal' is like meeting an old friend again. Nothing has really changed but it doesn't need to as it just feels right. That's where we are with this season opener and although I can see myself wanting a change of pace, or approach, later on in the series, right now it feels just right to have this season kick off in the same way that the last one ended.

What we have then is that same old mixture of all the things that make Star War just magical. You've got a quick introduction to a murky criminal underworld that, one awesomely staged fight later, swiftly becomes a quest that's set against the stunning backdrops of Tatooine. There's no time for that to really get going though as in the Star Wars universe, there are always more pressing concerns. This particular 'pressing concern' is MASSIVE and makes for some absolutely amazing set pieces that I can imagine 'Game of Thrones' must be pretty jealous of right now. Well, tough 'Game of Thrones', you had your shot...

These moments really reminded me of what it was like to see 'Star Wars' when I was six (and being wide eyed in amazement at all the cool stuff happening) and I'll happily admit, I'm pretty damn jealous of anyone who has 'The Mandalorian' as their 'first Star Wars moment'.

What I really loved about this episode were all the little moments where I was all, 'Wow! I remember him/that from the...' If nothing else, it's a neat little bridging technique that brings the old and the new Star Wars together. For me, and probably you if you've seen it, though... It really made my day seeing that cameo. You know the one... ;o) A SLIGHT SPOILER FOLLOWS...


I don't know if that was the intention but in these weird days, it's somehow good to know that a bad motivator doesn't have to be the end.


SLIGHT SPOILER ENDS ;o)


I also couldn't help but wonder if bringing two warring factions together was a riposte to those Star Wars 'fans' who get all mad about the direction that the 'Rey' films took. I mean, the big reason we all got into 'Star Wars' was because it was different and that caught our eye. Change happens all the time and while 'The Mandalorian' hearkens back to the original movies, it's making those changes as well. We can either adapt, and find the good in all of this, or stop watching and miss out. I know what I'm choosing.

'The Marshal' ends on a pretty big question, one that I suspect is going to run for a few more episodes until we're given the answer. I was going to keep watching anyway but this cliffhanger (of sorts) would hook anyone, I think. I've seen a few rumours around who the mysterious stranger may be. It would be cool if it was but I'm not hanging anything on that right now, best to keep an open mind (but it would be cool though).

'The Marshal' doesn't do anything particularly new but then it doesn't really need to, not with the Mandalorian doing what he does best and the Child just being lovely and providing moments of comedy all at the same time. This episode continues the story while laying down the beginnings of a very interesting path to follow. Can't ask for more than that really, a great way to finish my week off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.