'The Power of the Dark Crystal, Volume 2' – Spurrier, Kennedy Johnson and Kelly & Nichole Matthews (Archaia)



I read Volume One, of 'The Power of the Dark Crystal', back at thebeginning of August and all of a sudden it's September. Wow, where did that month go? And how come it's starting to feel a little cooler these days? Autumn has kind of crept up on me this year and with that, I will try and talk about Volume Two, of what looks like a gorgeous little series now, without sounding like a late middle aged man all worried about his arthritis. I'm only 'mid-middle aged', promise ;o)

But yeah, Volume Two... I picked this up in Plymouth, a few weeks ago now, and I'm kind of wishing I'd read it way back then. Not only is it another great read (more on that in a bit) but I would have found the misprint (where the same dialogue is printed on two different pages) a whole lot sooner. I might have even been able to take it back for an exchange; I've lost the receipt now so that's kind of out of the question... Oh well.
So that's one to look out for if you're picking up a copy of this book for yourself (it's the bit where Kensho and Thurma are hanging from a cliff ledge, it comes with conversation between Kira and Aughra) but don't let it stop you looking for another copy that hopefully Archaia have done a better job on. Volume 2 is a lovely read, so much so that all other reading plans are on hold while I get straight into Volume 3, just to see how it all ends...

Jen and Kira’s greatest fear has been realized as the Crystal is broken once more. The evil Skeksis have returned, eager to regain their cruel dominance over the world. But as the Gelfling and Skeksis battle for control of the Crystal Castle, Jen pursues those responsible for breaking the Crystal. On their own and on the run, Thurma and Kensho must stick together as they journey across the wildlands of Thra if they are to make it to the Fireling home deep beneath the planet’s surface. While they come across faces new and old on their quest, they are unaware of the threat following their trail: The Chamberlain.

Volume Two picks up where Volume One left off and takes us a lot further into a Thra that is still familiar but is now starting to throw up lots more questions and show us bits that we've never seen before. It's a gradual process that enhances rather than detracts from the main plot and I loved that approach, it gives me another reason to jump straight into Volume Three and hopefully find out things like just what the Blight is (I need to know!) It's a great way to tell a story and it's also a great way to slowly expand the readers view of Thra itself. Thra has always felt like there's more to it than what we get to see and it's strangely fitting that the expanded view that we get only confirms that there is still more that we don't know yet (and maybe won't ever know). Spurrier and Kennedy Johnson display a quite frankly masterful control of the plot, leading us ever forwards at what feels like whatever speed we want to go. The story will still be there so it's alright if you want to stop for a bit and get lost in some of the artwork.
I hate to repeat myself, from the last review, but once you get used to the style of what Kelly and Nichole Matthews are doing, it's so easy to know that this is Thra and get lost in an increasingly lush landscape that is just a joy to look at. I'm looking forward to more of the same in Volume Three.

There is a lot of other stuff going on, not least the Skeksis' bid to control the Dark Crystal again. There's an element of knowing how that plot-line has to end though so while it's fun to watch the Chamberlain posture, it feels a little hollow.
No, the real joy of this story is to be found in the growing friendship between Kensho and Thurma. Seeing two people from totally different cultures trying to find common ground and do the right thing by each other, and to see it handled so sensitively (no sides being taken here), is just enthralling. Spurrier and Kennedy Johnson handle these characters so well and that really is the big reason why I'll be picking up Volume Three very soon. Seeing whether Kensho and Thurma work everything out is the most important plotline of all.

You've probably guessed by now that I really enjoyed this book and if you've already read Volume One then you've got a bit of a treat waiting for you with Volume Two. Now if you'll excuse me, it's pretty late but I need to get at least a couple of pages of Volume Three read before I fall asleep :o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)