Books for the TBR Pile... 'Last one of these posts for a while, maybe' Edition

So I had a couple of books arrive through the post yesterday, which you will see in a minute, and I took them back upstairs to my flat. As I walked through the door, I caught a glimpse of a massive pile of unread books (not counting all the unread books that I've hidden, in plain sight, on my shelves) and thought, 'You know what...? How about you actually read some of these books first before buying any more. Do you think that's a good idea...?' I had to nod shamefacedly, especially as I'd been adding even more books to my Amazon wishlist yesterday morning... And lets not even mention the small pile of books that has suddenly appeared under the bed...

So... I've quit smoking, I'm (fairly) sure that I can lay off the book buying until Christmas. Maybe... Lets see how close to Christmas I can get before folding... This means no more 'TBR Pile Updates', I'll have to see if I can come up with any decent alternatives to post. In the meantime though, more books turned up over the last couple of days so lets have a look at them, shall we...?

I've got a vague resolution to read more 'classic' sci-fi and these two books were on some kind of Amazon deal so they were duly purchased. I'm sort of cheating with 'Dr. Bloodmoney' as I've read it before (but not for a few years and I think I gave my old copy away so I couldn't not buy it when I saw it going cheap) but I love it and it's definitely worth a re-read. 

I've never read 'The Demolished Man' but it's one of those books that I've always meant to read and that sweet bargain price, on Amazon, made me finally take the plunge. I'm also a sucker for a deliberately vague blurb that hints at a really cool concept...

In the year 2301, guns are only museum pieces and benign telepaths sweep the minds of the populace to detect crimes before they happen. In 2301 murder is virtually impossible, but one man is about to change that ...

Ben Reich, a psychopathic business magnate, has devised the ultimate scheme to eliminate the competition and destroy the order of his society. The Demolished Man is a masterpiece of imaginative suspense, set in a superbly imagined world in which everything has changed except the ancient instinct for murder.

I'll get to these books as and when I can, the safe money is on 'Dr. Bloodmoney' being read first ;o)

My Moorcock collection shows me for the 'Grafton Cover Art Fan' that I am and will always be. I didn't particularly enjoy growing up in the eighties but covers like this were one of the good bits. I still have intentions of reading the 'Elric' books in order so it may be a while before I get to this one. Get to it I will though ;o)

'Prince of Fools' though... I can see that book being read a lot sooner; mostly because I'm becoming a fan of Mark Lawrence's writing but also because it has at least one Viking in it (that I'm aware of) and I have a real urge, at the moment, to read more books with Vikings in them. There are a few other books that I need to read first but I'm hoping to get to 'Prince of Fools' this side of Christmas (am I the only person who plans their reading that far ahead?)

Not the largest haul then but that's the way the hunt goes sometimes. There's some good stuff there though, along with some stuff that I think could be good. Let's see...

Have a great weekend everyone and if I do another one of these posts next Saturday, someone remind me that I need to lay off the book buying for a bit. Seriously, I don't know where to put any extra book cases...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.