The 'I'm on Holiday!' TBR Challenge...

I did it! After a quite frankly monstrous last couple of weeks at work (and a frantic last minute burst to get stuff done that didn't end until 3am this morning....), I'm on holiday and I don't even have to think about work for just over a week :o) I'm ready for a whole load of relaxing, having fun with my kids, rooting around in second hand bookshops and trying to make a bit of a dent in the TBR pile in any free time that's left. We'll see how that goes but I do want to actually read some of the TBR pile books so I thought I'd set myself a little challenge and see how many books I can finish before I go home. Easy? Lets see...

The Easy Books...

  
Well, I say easy... I brought these two along as I'm part way through each of them and I'm trying to finish books before starting new ones. So, 'easy to finish' as I don't have an awful lot to read of each. 'The Queen of the Swords' will be no trouble but 'Elric of Melnibone' has been a real pain to finish and feels like it has been in the TBR pile for far too long. If I can finish that this week, I'll be doing well.

The 'New Reads'...


Books that were bought purely to be read over this holiday. I'll be dipping in and out of 'Elric at the End of Time' (I've already reviewed 'The Last Enchantment' so won't go into that again); I'm really looking forward to reading 'Elric at the End of Time' again, the short story that gives this collection its name, and the 'Sojan' story in particular, which I haven't read since starting high school so erm, yeah... quite a long time ago now.
'The Warlord of the Air' though... I love this story but the last couple of times I've tried to read it, I haven't got very far. I've brought along a less daunting looking single volume so I'm hoping that will do the trick this time...

The Comic Books...


Because I've got loads of comic books sat on my shelves and if I don't take the good ones down for a re-read every now and then, well... what's the point of keeping them?
I feel like I'm way past due a re-read for 'Planet Hulk' but it's a thick read so that might only happen if it rains and we're all stuck indoors. 'Warrior's Dawn' won the 'battle of the Slaine books' but the other contestant was 'The Horned God' so it was a close run thing. I thought I'd go back to the beginning with 'Slaine' so taking 'Warrior's Dawn' was a no-brainer really.
I'll warn you now, I love both of these books so don't expect anything too critical, do expect to see me being a huge fanboy over them though... ;o)

The Hugo Winner...


I was chatting with @RichHarris74, the other day, who asked me if I'd read Arkady Martine's 'A Memory Called Empire'. I hadn't, science fiction and I generally don't tend to get on as well as I do with fantasy or horror, but I thought I'd give it a shot and so it's on my Kindle, waiting to be read. Given what else I want to get through, this is more of a 'bonus read' that will be cool if I get to it... Unless anyone has read it and wants to tel me why I should bump it up the list...?

Anyway... That's the challenge, wish me luck ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Mad God' (2021)

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.