Books for the TBR Pile... 'Insert your own title here' Edition

It's not often that coming up with a title, for a post, absolutely stumps me but, here we are :o) It's gone one in the morning and any inspiration has decided to go to bed, like I should do really but the party next door has only just stopped and there's no way that sleep is happening right now. Oh well, at least there's one more day of weekend left...

I wasn't expecting an awful lot out of this week as far as 'book hunting' goes, I've been trying to concentrate on the TBR pile (rather than add to it!) and that's been quite nice actually, reading through stuff that's been there a while and remembering why I was so excited to get the book(s) in the first place. 

And then payday happened. And then I somehow decided that the best way to prune my Amazon Wishlist was to make a few purchases rather than use the delete button. And then I went in a few charity shops on my way to see the girls. I regret nothing, not one purchase :o) Let me show you what's come through the door...

Charity Shop P.urchases...



I'm not a huge sci-fi reader but I do enjoy Richard Morgan's work so had to grab this. It also comes with a little reminder, on the front cover, that I never got round to watching 'Altered Carbon' and I really should do something about that.

I'm also a bit of a sucker for 'Illustrated Editions' so when I saw the 'Nightflyers' illustrated edition, in the Scope shop (for all of two pounds) I had to get it. There are a few reasons why I'm not massively keen on giving GRRM my money at the moment (and it's not like he doesn't have enough already) but if the money is going to a good cause...? I can do that :o)

The Slightly Bittersweet Purchase



Because unless there's another zombie film tucked away in a vault somewhere, this is the last zombie story that we'll see from George Romero. Here's a book that I'm more than happy to break my 'no more hardbacks' rule for. And here's some blurb...


It begins with one body. A pair of medical examiners find themselves facing a dead man who won’t stay dead.
It spreads quickly. In a Midwestern trailer park, an African American teenage girl and a Muslim immigrant battle newly-risen friends and family.
On a US aircraft carrier, living sailors hide from dead ones while a fanatic preaches the gospel of a new religion of death.
At a cable news station, a surviving anchor keeps broadcasting, not knowing if anyone is watching, while his undead colleagues try to devour him.
In DC, an autistic federal employee charts the outbreak, preserving data for a future that may never come.
Everywhere, people are targeted by both the living and the dead.
We think we know how this story ends. We. Are. Wrong.

Out of all the books I've picked up this week, this is the one most likely to be read first. I'm expecting great things. Well, having sat through 'Survival of the Dead' it's more a case of hoping for great things but, we'll see...


The Moorcock Purchases



Because it wouldn't be a 'TBR' post without a little Moorcock ;o)

Little bit gutted with the 'Jerry Cornelius' book as I thought I was ordering the edition with the red cover and the really cool looking car. This one isn't bad, it just needs a really cool looking car on the cover. Dammit :o(

And yes, I already have a copy of 'The Dragon in the Sword' but it wasn't the same edition as the first two books in the series and I had a little 'moment' and erm, here we are. I still need to finish 'The King of the Swords' but I'm going to take a little break between that and the next 'Corum' trilogy. I might make the 'Eternal Champion' books the next series that I tackle. Maybe, we'll see.

And that's that for me, a nice little haul of books and that's not counting the two books that somehow appeared on my Kindle the other day; no idea how that happened...

Any books there that you think I should read first?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.