Books for the TBR Pile... 'Bank Holiday' Edition

I love Bank Holidays :o) When I wake up in the morning, my first thoughts aren't going to be along the lines of what's waiting for me at work on Monday. And if that wasn't enough, next week is only going to be four days long. Yep, there is literally nothing negative about Bank Holidays, they're the gift that keeps on giving :o)

I'm in need of this Bank Holiday in particular as last week was crazy what with one thing and another; nothing horrible, just one of those weeks where you get to the end of it and just know that you deserve a long weekend. The gout hasn't helped either (and the tablets I was given really didn't help...) but I'm hoping it will die down over the next few days. Fingers crossed...
All of this is a slightly roundabout way of saying that we all know what happens when Graeme has a stressful week, don't we...? Yep, a few more books came my way than usual and now I really need to make some inroads into the TBR pile before I buy any more (although it is my birthday in a few weeks so lets see how well that good intention holds up...) Lets have a look at what turned up this week.


'Meddling Kids' is one of those books that I've always meant to read but never quite got round to picking up. I saw it in the Cancer Research shop, the other day, and that was that, it's on the TBR pile now and waiting to be read. 'Meddling Kids' has been out for a little while now but if it's the first you've seen of this book... well, have some blurb,

SUMMER 1977. The Blyton Summer Detective Club solved their final mystery and unmasked the elusive Sleepy Lake monster another low-life fortune hunter trying to get his dirty hands on the legendary riches hidden in Deboën Mansion. And he would have gotten away with it too, if it weren t for those meddling kids.
1990. The former detectives have grown up and apart, each haunted by disturbing memories of their final night in the old haunted house. There are too many strange, half-remembered encounters and events that cannot be dismissed or explained away by a guy in a mask. And Andy, the once intrepid tomboy now wanted in two states, is tired of running from her demons. She needs answers. To find them she will need Kerri, the one-time kid genius and budding biologist, now drinking her ghosts away in New York with Tim, an excitable Weimaraner descended from the original canine member of the club. They will also have to get Nate, the horror nerd currently residing in an asylum in Arkham, Massachusetts. Luckily Nate has not lost contact with Peter, the handsome jock turned movie star who was once their team leader... which is remarkable, considering Peter has been dead for years.
The time has come to get the team back together, face their fears, and find out what actually happened all those years ago at Sleepy Lake. It s their only chance to end the nightmares and, perhaps, save the world.


As for 'The Magos'... This was very much a 'Graeme's having a bad day' purchase, don't judge me ;o) I've always enjoyed Dan Abnett's 'Eisenhorn' books and didn't realise this was a late addition to what I always thought was a trilogy. Never mind, it's mine now. I've some good reading in WH40K books just recently, I'm hoping that 'The Magos' will be more of the same.


Of course it's no surprise that I've made a few more Moorcock purchases over the last week... I bought these as I'm having a lot more luck getting through individual books rather than full on collections. The plan was to make these two books part of upcoming 'read through' projects and then a poll, that I set up on Twitter, said that I really should finish off 'Elric' first before I read anything else by Moorcock. Oh well, I did promise and you should never argue with Twitter...


I read 'Silverheart' many years ago and can just about remember that I quite liked it; can't for the life of me remember why though and it was only 97p so of course I bought it. 'Silverheart' is standalone so I'm not going to feel too guilty if I read it in between 'Elric' books ;o) Lets see what happens there.
'Breakfast in the Ruins' was another cheap find on another stressful day. I really need to find better ways of dealing with stress, than spending money, but there's loads more short stories to read so it's kind of a win really. Expect to see 'Breakfast in the Ruins' broken down into individual stories and dotted in between longer posts. Or not, I haven't quite decided yet.

And that's all the books for this week so I'll bring things to a close here. If you're a UK reader (hello!), have a great rest of your Bank Holiday Weekend. If you're not a UK reader (still, hello!), have a great weekend. See you tomorrow :o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.