Books for the TBR Pile: 'Really, really need to read some of these books now...' Edition.



How's the Lockdown treating you? I could be better but my Kindle, I have to say, is absolutely loving all the attention it's getting at the moment. I was a little late to the whole e-reading revolution, so late in fact by the time I got there it wasn't a revolution at all. I still prefer the feel (and smell) of a real book but there is something to be said for having around four hundred books (at a rough guess) in the palm of my hand and not having to use an old receipt for a bookmark :o)

Being on my own at the moment, I've got a nasty habit of browsing Amazon and looking for the cheap e-book deals when work is giving me a kicking. I really need to stop it and read some of the books that have been waiting to be read for weeks now... Well, that's the plan anyway; we all know that there will be another post like this next week. I love book hunting and it's almost as fun on Amazon as it is in the real world. Check these out...


'Breeding Ground' – Shaun Hutson

Deep in the dirty sewers of London there is a Breeding Ground...

The slugs have come hack... slowly... silently... they slither along dank, fetid tunnels into the city in search of human flesh. Their insatiable need knows no bounds.
But now they bring a new horror - a plague which spreads insanity and death, transforming its victims into grotesque, crazed killers.
Caught in this maelstrom of horror is Dr. Alan Finch - the only man capable of destroying the Breeding Ground forever.
I read, and reviewed, 'Slugs' back in January and I've been meaning to read 'Breeding Ground' since then, and now here it is on my Kindle. If it's anything like the last book, 'Breeding Ground' will be a quick read where I can have a review up fairly quickly. I want to read some horror so this one will come round sooner rather than later I reckon.


'Darker' – Simon Clark

Video scriptwriter Richard Young is looking forward to a week at home with his wife and their little daughter. He thinks it's going to be a pleasant time of barbecues and lazy summer days. It isn't. It is going to be hell.
Because the stranger who arrives at their home, begging to be driven to the nearest police station, is being hunted. Hunted by something that cannot be seen, cannot be heard – yet which has the power to move across the land crushing flat everything in its path. Stalking and killing remorselessly.
Within minutes, Richard Young, his family and the stranger (who is not the innocent victim he seems) are being pursued relentlessly by a malignant occult force that pounds and pulps its victims like the Hammer of God itself...

It's been a long time since I read this and my ongoing quest to read horror, that I normally wouldn't read, has led me to it once again. That's another good thing about e-reading and self publishing, authors are digging out their back catalogues and books that you never thought you'd see again are suddenly available to read :o) I've got a lot of books that I want to get through (no change there) but 'Darker' is another one that I want to pick up soon.


'BlackWing: The Raven's Mark, Book One' - Ed McDonald

The republic faces annihilation, despite the vigilance of Galharrow's Blackwings. When a raven tattoo rips itself from his arm to deliver a desperate message, Galharrow and a mysterious noblewoman must investigate a long dead sorcerer's legacy. But there is a conspiracy within the citadel: traitors, flesh-eaters and the ghosts of the wastelands seek to destroy them, but if they cannot solve the ancient wizard's paradox, the Deep Kings will walk the earth again, and all will be lost.
The war with the Eastern Empire ended in stalemate some eighty years ago, thanks to Nall's 'Engine', a wizard-crafted weapon so powerful even the Deep Kings feared it. The strike of the Engine created the Misery - a wasteland full of ghosts and corrupted magic that now forms a No Mans Land along the frontier. But when Galharrow investigates a frontier fortress, he discovers complacency bordering on treason: then the walls are stormed, and the Engine fails to launch. Galharrow only escapes because of the preternatural magical power of the noblewoman he was supposed to be protecting. Together, they race to the capital to unmask the traitors and restore the republic's defences. Far across the Misery a vast army is on the move, as the Empire prepares to call the republic's bluff.
I've got to admit that I know very little about this book other than a number of bloggers have said good things about it and that it was a 99p special on Amazon, a winning combination :o)
It will definitely be read but I'm not in a mad rush to pick it up (unless anyone fancies leaving a comment and persuading me otherwise?), such is the fate of the random purchase...
How about you guys? Are you making any inroads into your TBR Pile or are you like me and buying books quicker than you can read them...? Comments, comments, leave comments ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.