Books for the TBR Pile... 'I Cooked A Roast' Edition

Yep, one of the slightly more odd ways that I've opened one of these posts but bear with me... I'm not one for cooking, it makes me anxious for all sorts of reasons that you're really not that bothered about. Today though was different. It was a cheat's roast (the roast potatoes were frozen and the gravy was just 'add boiling water') but I don't care, I sorted the important bit (a nice bit of chicken) so it counts, at least as far as I'm concerned. I know it sounds silly but I'm feeling a little tiny bit proud of myself right now :o)

But the books, the books...

I've tried to be good about ordering books this week, in a 'they're not essential so I don't want someone putting themselves in harms way delivering my stuff' kind of way. It was Easter today though so that kind of went out of the window a little bit... Yes, I rediscovered my Kindle and treated myself to a couple of books :o) Do you want to see what they are...?


'Ferocious' - Jeff Strand

Rusty Moss has raised his niece Mia since she was a baby. Now that she's almost eighteen, he's worried that the life he's given her—living off the grid in a cabin deep in the woods—is holding her back from her full potential. But that angst gets pushed aside when the undead forest animals arrive.

At first it's just a squirrel—shockingly violent and almost impossible to kill. Followed by a grizzly bear, also aggressive and resilient, even when point-blank shotgun blasts to the face are involved.

Now the cabin is surrounded by all manner of zombie creatures. They have no way to call for help. The truck that could take them to safety is three miles away, stuck in the mud.
But Rusty and Mia have their courage. They have their wits. And, most importantly, they have an axe and a fully fueled chainsaw... 

I do enjoy Jeff Strand's work and I'm looking forward to reading his take on zombies. As it happens, I don't have a lot planned for tomorrow so guess what I'll be reading and reviewing (a little later on in the week)? No, not that, I'll be reading 'Ferocious' of course ;o)


'The Solar War' (Siege of Terra, Book 1) - John French

After seven years of bitter war, the end has come at last for the conflict known infamously as the Horus Heresy. Terra now lies within the Warmaster’s sights, the Throneworld and the seat of his father’s rule. Horus’ desire is nothing less than the death of the Emperor of Mankind and the utter subjugation of the Imperium. He has become the ascendant vessel of Chaos, and amassed a terrible army with which to enact his will and vengeance. But the way to the Throne will be hard as the primarch Rogal Dorn, the Praetorian and protector of Terra, marshals the defences. First and foremost, Horus must challenge the might of the Sol System itself and the many fleets and bulwarks arrayed there. To gain even a foothold on Terran soil, he must first contend the Solar War. Thus the first stage of the greatest conflict in the history of all mankind begins.

Yes, I'm reading these out of order but long term readers already know how the story will end anyway and there's also the small matter of it only now being sold as a £1.99 deal. It's always worth waiting a little bit ;o)
I've been in and out of the series for some years now. Right now, I'm 'in' as it looks like we're now entering the end game for the series. Having said that though, I fully expect the Black Library to spin the Siege out for at least fifteen books; gotta keep milking that cash cow! Anyway, once I'm done with 'Ferocious', I'll be moving on to 'The Solar War' and I'll let you know how that turns out.

And yep, I'm still making my way through all those other books that I've got on the go right now. I have no idea when I'll finish any of them if I'm being completely honest but I do want to finish them eventually so keep an eye open for those reviews.

And there you have it, that's me for this week :o) What about you though? What are you reading right now? Is the Lockdown making reading easier or more difficult for you? Have you promised yourself that you'll never look at a book again after the Lockdown finishes? Whatever the answer, leave a comment here and let me know how you're doing.
Stay Safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)