'The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 1' – Holguin, Sheikman, John (Archaia)



There are a whole load of things that happened to make me a right geek (most of these seemed to take place in the early to mid-eighties) and in amongst watching the 'Star Wars', the 'Doctor Who' and reading various books and comics, you'll find a weekend trip to the cinema to see 'The Dark Crystal'. I loved it, of course I loved it, but it's only recently that I've begun to understand that it wasn't just the same old tale of good vs evil that sold it to me (along with the fact that that it was all played out by a group of funny looking puppets) but the fact that the film itself was just a window into a much wider world and we were being invited to be a part of it. That's why I keep going back to my copy of the 'Dark Crystal' DVD, even after all these years there's still so much to see and be a part of. And now, it's time to revisit one of the stories that has sprung out of this cult film.

In what is now becoming a familiar tale of woe etc, I had this book (and the other two that made up the trilogy) but had to sell it for some quick cash. Now I'm more or less back on my feet, I've made it a little quest of mine to find those books again and, this time, keep them. Books like 'Creation Myths Volume 1' that I found the other week, on Amazon, but finally got round to re-reading last night. It was glorious.

Part one of a three-part graphic novel series delving into the origins of the SkeksisMysticsGelflings, the world of Thra and the Dark Crystal itself. Spanning a time period from thousands of years ago to right up to the start of the original film, this graphic novel epic tells the definitive origin of the Dark Crystal.

I don't know where to start with how I feel about 'Creation Myths Volume 1'. Seriously, I've spent five minutes typing out and deleting that last sentence and am using this sentence to ease myself in, so to speak. If I had to put it in one sentence, I'd say that reading this first volume is like being back in the film again. Holguin's writing really conveys that sense of myth, and a wider world, that you feel in the film. It's amazing writing, so immersive, but almost does its job a little too well sometimes as the actual plot can get lost in the meandering tone of the myths themselves. Not that I'm really complaining as it feels like my experiences of the world of Thra are just that little more fleshed out now.

In terms of the plot itself, it's very simple (telling the tale that will eventually end with the crystal cracking) but with enough bits left vague enough to add to that feeling of forgotten myth and also to make you come back to see what happens in Volume 2. There's a sense of tragedy on the horizon as well with Aughra concentrating so much on the future that she can't see what is happening right in front of her. Raunip is being set up for something major as well and its more than a little foreboding that we don't see him in the film... I'm dreading that revelation because every world needs a trickster and Raunip is definitely that. And the UrSkeks as well... There are so many questions that I have and I've got to wait until the next two volumes are delivered. Because I ordered them, of course I did.

Sheikman and John's artwork is just stunning and you can see that they really get and understand the subject matter, that they're working with, with the care and attention to detail that is clearly on display. Sometimes, that's all you can say (I've never been much good talking about art, I just know what I like). I really hope they take up the artwork duties in the next two volumes.

If you're a fan of 'The Dark Crystal' then my money is on you already having read 'Creation Myths'; you've probably sat there nodding your head in agreement at everything I've said. If you haven't though, do something about it as soon as you can. This book is amazing and I've got high hopes for the next two volumes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.