Some Thoughts on 'The Mandalorian' (Episodes 1-3)



Once again, where a TV show is concerned, I feel like I'm late to a party where all the interesting conversations have been had already. But I'm going to metaphorically stand in the corner, self conciously nursing a drink, and talk about 'The Mandalorian' anyway. Why? Because I watched the first three episodes last night and really enjoyed it, that's why.

I'm what you might call a 'lapsed Star Wars fan'; loved the original movies, kind of enjoyed the prequels, thought 'Rogue One' was amazing but am having trouble really working out what the point of the new movies is (still to see 'Rise of Skywalker' but 'The Force Awakens' felt like it was trying to please fans at the expense of the story while 'The Last Jedi' lost me when Poe Dameron tried to put General Hux on hold as the resistance base was about to be attacked...) And 'Solo'... Nice idea but again, what was the point? We knew all the good stuff already.
I was at the point then where I was going to watch 'The Rise of Skywalker' (because I'm a completist if nothing else) and just not bother after that. 'Star Wars' was good and all but it's time to move on and all that. And then I watched the first three episodes of 'The Mandalorian'.

I thought I'd take advantage of the Disney + free trial and to be honest, I'll probably take out a subscription afterwards (I really want to see 'Frozen 2'). Somewhere in between those two thoughts, I checked out 'The Mandalorian' and all of a sudden, I was a fan again.

The story is simple and because I'm going to try and avoid spoilers as much as I can, I'm going to try and make it even simpler. Our Mandalorian lead is a bounty hunter trying to make a living in the years after the fall of the Empire. A contract offered by his handler leads the Mandalorian into working for Imperial remnants who are desperate to get their hands on a live asset for... what? While the asset is easily caught, can the Mandalorian let it go? And if he doesn't, what will happen next?

Well, there are only three episodes on 'UK Disney+' so I've got no idea what will happen next. I'll be watching though. 'The Mandalorian' has got me in love with 'Star Wars' again, I'm going to make the most of it while the feeling lasts.

I think what I liked most of all is that there isn't a single Skywalker or Solo in sight. I love it. No more following a tired old story here, 'The Mandalorian' strikes out on it's own and is so much the better for it. I got a real feel for this lawless new part of the galaxy that hasn't been touched by the New Republic. It's still a galaxy where the blaster makes all the big decisions but it's also a galaxy where an old Ugnaught can make a peaceful home, I liked that contrast. It wasn't all new stuff though, there are a few little nods to older stuff like an old favourite of mine, the Kowakian Monkey-Lizard :o) I like a little bit of fan-service but this was more about taking some steps into a much wider universe and I liked that even more.

In a world where everyone knows what the 'Asset' is, it does feel a bit weird to be posting with the intent of not spoiling anything. Maybe, just maybe, I'm not the last person to have watched 'The Mandalorian' and if I'm not, you're welcome ;o)
I guess what I can say is that the way the 'Asset' and the Mandalorian bounce off each other is just lovely and I'm looking forward to seeing their relationship develop over the remaining episodes. Bit gutted about the droid though, especially after seeing him shoot up the place in the first episode.

So there's a great story shaping up and it all just looks gorgeous, in a slightly run down and seedy kind of way, but the most surprising bit of all for me was the Mandalorian himself. Considering this is a guy in a helmet with no expression at all, I was just in awe of how Pedro Pascal manages to put so much emotion into a character that doesn't show any. You have to watch it to see what I mean, that fight with the monster though...

I've got form for watching the first episode, of a show, and not going back to it but that definitely won't happen here. I'll be bringing you what I think of 'The Mandalorian' but I'd very surprised if you haven't seen it already. It is brilliant so far and just what this jaded Star Wars fan needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.