Movie Night! 'Unexpected Double Bill' Edition...

Yesterday was a bit of a funny one as I stayed in the flat all day trying to get work done. By the time the day was over, I was going stir crazy (I know, it was only a day...) and I needed a little break between books so... A movie night it was then :o)

Little did I know, as I started the first film, that my night was going to be longer (and a little scarier) than I had planned...


'Itsy Bitsy' (2019)

Youtube has a nice habit of chucking up random horror trailers for my attention and as a result, I've had half an eye open for 'Itsy Bitsy' ever since early(ish) last year. Amazon Prime gave me the nod last night and so 'Itsy Bitsy' was the first and only film that I was planning on watching last night...

An ancient mysterious relic unleashes a giant prehistoric spider that terrorizes a single mother and her two children in their new house.

That's it, that's all there is to this movie but bloody hell they did so much with that simple premise. Call me cold but I wasn't too bothered at all by Kara and her problems (although the root of them was really sad); it was all about the spider for me and the film really delivered. It was all about the practical effects here and the spider seemed more real as a result, even when it was massive. It wasn't just that though, the film made use of every single potential scare and left me cringing in abject fear at all the right moments. Seriously, if you'd seen me on Twitter last night... I don't particularly like spiders at the best of times but 'Itsy Bitsy' took it to a whole new level. I was that person who yells DON'T GO IN THERE at the screen while hiding behind my hands. I was also that person who had to watch another movie after 'Itsy Bitsy' finished, just so I could calm down a bit and not be worried about the possibility of giant spiders under the bed... It was a great movie :o)




'Containment' (2015)

Mark wakes up to find that the doors and windows of his flat have been sealed shut. His confusion turns to terror when he sees sinister figures in hazmat suits attacking his fellow residents. What is going on? And will Mark and his neighbours survive?

I wasn't even thinking about the state of the world, outside, when I thought I'd give 'Containment' a go, more like I just wanted to watch any film that didn't have spiders in it at all. 'Containment' didn't have any spiders (just the one fly that you see for a few seconds) but it was pretty creepy all the same with the tension slowly being raised amidst no apparent reason for the lockdown. At least we know why we're stuck indoors.
And then the reason behind the containment is revealed and it all seems like a bit of an anti-climax. The film then proceeds to meander (with a couple of moments that look like they're taken straight from '28 Days Later') to a hopeful conclusion that leaves you wondering why the whole thing wasn't handled differently to start off with. Couldn't they have just...

Oh well, 'Containment' ended up being a little disappointing but at least I was able to go to sleep afterwards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.