'Doctor Who: Day of the Daleks' (1972)



Saturday has crept up on us once again and... thank goodness for that is all I can say. The world is still in just as bad a shape as it was yesterday but it's Saturday so, erm... at least we're not at work now? Yeah, I know I'm reaching now so I'd best just get on with today's slice of Doctor Who.

When I was a kid (and for a large chunk of when I wasn't) a favourite comfort read of mine was the 'Dalek Omnibus', a collection of three novelisations of Dalek stories from the TV show; these were 'The Dalek Invasion of Earth', 'Planet of the Daleks' and 'Day of the Daleks'. I absolutely adored that book, and it was a real shame to see it go, but it struck me (the other day) that I'd never actually seen any of the stories that the novelisations covered. Ok, I've seen the film of 'The Dalek Invasion of Earth' but I'm not counting it, even though I do like Peter Cushing's Doctor. 'I need to do something about that', I thought to myself and a quick trip to CEX saw me come home with a copy of 'Day of the Daleks'. The 'Dalek Omnibus' journey starts here then...

On Earth in the 22nd century, Daleks have enslaved the planet and humans live in fear of their masters. Meanwhile, back in the 20th century, a peace conference is urgently needed to prevent World War Three. When reports reach UNIT of a ghost at Auderly House--the site for the conference--the Doctor and Jo decide to investigate. Danger is waiting for them there, including a trip 200 years into the future without the Tardis.

Wow, Jon Pertwee's Doctor does enjoy his Venusian akido and bombing around industrial wasteland on a dirtbike, doesn't he? If 'Day of the Daleks' is anything to go by, he certainly does. I'd heard him described as the 'Action Doctor' but never thought it would be this full on. It makes a real change to other Doctors who seem to just want to talk it through (okay, the Tenth Doctor had a bit of a go with a sword but the Third Doctor is something else...) Not that I'm advocating for a more physical Doctor, just seeing Pertwee karate chop an Ogron makes me realise how little 'Doctor Who' I've actually watched. I definitely need to watch more of the Third Doctor.

What? The story...? Oh yeah, there's a story.

The story here is a bit of a funny one as to start off with, I was watching and thinking, 'hang on, all they're doing here is jumping forwards and backwards in time, having a little chat and then going back to their own time.' Watching a little bit more though, it all starts to come together and builds up to what I thought was a really clever revelation about why and how the Third World War really started. And then it all gets sorted out within the last fifteen or so minutes of the final episode so maybe the actual plot is a little bit lightweight but it's fun so you're not left complaining while you're watching.

Was 'Day of the Daleks' as good as the book? Of course it was, better I reckon. It doesn't demand an awful lot of you though but that's just what I needed this morning...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.