A Cover Art Post... 'Empire of Grass' (Tad Williams)
Because it struck me yesterday that I'm never going to catch up with everyone else reading all the latest stuff. Yeah, I am a bit jealous but I just can't read that quickly anymore (especially when I spent what felt like most of yesterday evening trying to get my youngest daughter to go to sleep...) so my slightly later than normal New Year's Resolution is not to feel bad about it and just post about whatever makes me happy as far as books and TV go :o)
Just remind me I said that the next time I get all annoyed at myself for reading slowly... ;o)
So, I'm clearly still working my way through 'The Wolf of Oren-Yaro' and 'The Prefectly Fine House' then... What do you get in the meantime? How about some really lovely looking cover art for a book that's been out a little while and will be read after I finish up the books I'm reading at the moment...
Just remind me I said that the next time I get all annoyed at myself for reading slowly... ;o)
So, I'm clearly still working my way through 'The Wolf of Oren-Yaro' and 'The Prefectly Fine House' then... What do you get in the meantime? How about some really lovely looking cover art for a book that's been out a little while and will be read after I finish up the books I'm reading at the moment...
The kingdoms of Osten Ard have been at peace for decades, but now, the threat of a new war grows to nightmarish proportions.
Simon and Miriamele, royal husband and wife, face danger from every side. Their allies in Hernystir have made a pact with the dreadful Queen of the Norns to allow her armies to cross into mortal lands. The ancient, powerful nation of Nabban is on the verge of bloody civil war, and the fierce nomads of the Thrithings grasslands have begun to mobilize, united by superstitious fervor and their age-old hatred of the city-dwellers. But as the countries and peoples of the High Ward bicker among themselves, battle, bloodshed, and dark magics threaten to pull civilizations to pieces. And over it all looms the mystery of the Witchwood Crown, the deadly puzzle that Simon, Miriamele, and their allies must solve if they wish to survive.
But as the kingdoms of Osten Ard are torn apart by fear and greed, a few individuals will fight for their own lives and destinies-not yet aware that the survival of everything depends on them.
I know the paperback was released a few weeks ago, and anybody who is anybody has already reviewed this, but I was looking at this cover the other day and realised that there is something to be said for a cover where something is actually happening. A number of the covers that I've come across recently are all about having some kind of symbol on the front and I get that and it can look really good (apart from that one with the elephant on it that I covered the other week, that wasn't so good). What it also says though is that publishers are playing it safe in order to sell more books. Let's have something neutral on the front cover so Joe public won't be afraid to read it on the train. And I think that's a real shame. If you're going to enjoy something, enjoy all of it. Don't be embarrassed to let people know what you enjoy, there's too much shit going on in the world already to be worried about what's on the front of a book. Seriously people...
And that's why I love this cover and want it blown up on my wall so that people can see it when they visit :o) Not only is something actually happening here (or about to, either is good, it's so peaceful as well) but it's a cover that's not ashamed to be what it is, part of a fantasy novel. Fair play, 'Empire of Grass' cover art, fair play... ;o)

Comments
Post a Comment