'The Burning Man' – Tad Williams



Tad Williams' 'The Burning Man' can be found in either 'Epic: Legends of Fantasy' (Edited by John Joseph Adams) or 'Legends' (Edited by Robert Silverberg). I came across it in 'Legends', far too long ago now to admit. I had finished re-reading 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn', for the nth time, and was looking for something that would start me off on that long slow circle round to the next re-read (Have I ever told you how much I adore 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn'? Well, I really do) 'Legends' was a bit of a lifesaver then; I can take or leave the 'Pern' books (still want my own dragon though) but loved Terry Pratchett and was pretty keen on reading some George R.R. Martin and Robert Jordan for the first time. Best of all though? There was a whole new Tad Williams story that I'd never seen before. Even better than that? It was a brand new (to me) tale of Osten Ard. It was a lovely read, over far too soon, and now (far too many years later) I'm back to see what a return visit is like...

Told from the point-of-view of Breda, stepdaughter to Sulis, the Heron King of Erkynland, “The Burning Man” takes place several hundred years before the events of ’ Memory, Sorrow and Thorn'. 'The Burning Man' tells its reader just what brought Sulis to the Hayholt and what it ultimately meant for Breda...

Like I said at the top of the page, I'm a big fan of Tad Williams' work so do bear that in mind as you read. Having said that though, 'The Burning Man' is just as good as I remember it last time round.
In this edition, 'The Burning Man' is fity two pages long and it never ceases to amaze me how much Williams can fit into such a short space story-wise (especially having read his longer work...) 'The Burning Man' is one part history, one part love story and one part (perhaps the best part) what Tad Williams does best when he visits Osten Ard, an exercise in misdirection that not only keeps the story fresh but allows the reader a little look at how the power of a good story can continue to have such an impact on how this world develops. Or is it just a story? Williams asks us to consider the nature of religion, and where it came from, in his world as well...

All credit to Williams here as he ties all of this together to give us a story that flows smoothly and inexorably towards a twist (that you will kid yourself you saw coming) that provides that little extra impetus needed to push the plot to a conclusion that is downbeat but all the more realistic for it.
I liked Breda's character, someone who must navigate two worlds (the world underneath the Hayholt and the world of her stepfather) so that her own story can have both meaning and closure. For someone banished to the periphery of everything, Breda is strong enough to force her way back into the centre and make those hard choices that no-one else can.
Lord Sulis is my personal favourite though, a man absolutely heart-broken but who will not bend or turn from a quest that has outlawed him from his own country. If you've ever grieved then you will definitely empathise with Sulis and his decisions, I did. There were more twists here as well although these were about how the reader sees the story as a whole and not much about events or people.

'The Burning Man' is a slow burner, no question about it, almost to the point where you're left wondering whether Williams should have allowed a few extra pages to go in so that there is room for everything to pan out as required. Stick with it though and you'll find yourself engrossed in a tale that wants to tell you everything but just doesn't have quite enough space for it.
If you're a fan then I'd imagine that you have this story already but if you don't then it's worth your time looking for it. You can thank me later ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Mad God' (2021)

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.