Cover Art - 'Dead Lies Dreaming' (Charles Stross)
I saw this on Tor.com and, even though it was posted on Friday (and the book itself won't be available until October this year), I'm a bit of a fan of the 'Laundry Files' books so thought I'd share anyway ;o)
Cover art and blurb then...
As magic and superpowers emerge in the unruly masses, the government has begun to employ private sector contractors to capture felons. This is how supernaturally gifted Wendy Deere gets her job bagging and snagging supervillains.
As Wendy hunts down Imp—the cyberpunk head of a band calling themselves “The Lost Boys”— she is dragged into the schemes of louche billionaire Rupert de Montfort Bigge. Rupert has discovered that the sole surviving copy of the long-lost concordance to the one true Necronomicon is up for underground auction in London. He hires Imp’s sister, Eve, to procure it by any means necessary, and in the process, he encounters Wendy Deere.
In a tale of corruption, assassination, thievery, and magic, Wendy Deere must navigate rotting mansions that lead to distant pasts, evil tycoons, corrupt government officials, lethal curses, and her own moral qualms in order to make it out of this chase alive.
I have to say that if it wasn't for the blurb (and Stross' name on the cover) I would probably give this one a miss based on the excessively generic cover art. If Lee Child's name was on this, for example, then I wouldn't give it a second thought (and maybe they're trying to break into that market, I don't know) but Stross deserves a little more than a shelf of skulls on top of Marble Arch. The inclusion of at least one tentacle would be a marked improvement.
You know what though? I'm still going to read it, of course I am. I've got some catching up to do with this series but just the mention of another 'Laundry Files' book has caught my interest. There's a while to go yet, before it's published but I'll let you know what I think. Maybe, just maybe, I'll do a re-read of the other books in the meantime...

Comments
Post a Comment