'The Last Unicorn' – Peter S. Beagle (IDW Publishing)



We all love the genre but with so many books to read, and only so many hours in the day, there will inevitably be classics that we've just never got round to picking up, no matter our good intentions. I'm no different to the rest of you. When I've got my groove on, I can get through books at a good rate but there are still loads of fantasy books that I've never read. 'The Last Unicorn' is one of those books... I know right? I don't think I've ever heard a bad word said about it and it sounds like one of those books that will happily wear the term 'classic' like it was born to it. But I've never read it, always wanted to but never did Until now.
Well, I say 'until now' but it was the graphic novel adaptation that I happened to come across, in a Lewisham charity shop, and not the original book. You can't win em' all (especially when a copy of the book is priced somewhat outside my means...) and sometimes you just have to go with what's in front of you if you're ever going to get to know a particular story up close. I knew it was time to give 'The Last Unicorn' a go...

The Last Unicorn is a tale for any age about the wonders of magic, the power of love, and the tragedy of loss. A unicorn, alone in her enchanted wood, discovers that she may be the last of her kind. Reluctant at first, she sets out on a journey to find her fellow unicorns, even if it means facing the terrifying anger of the Red Bull and malignant evil of the king who wields the Bull's power.

Wow... I think I might have to search a little harder for a copy of the book now. There is a lot to savour and enjoy here but I couldn't help but think that there was a lot more of the story to be told that didn't make it past the 'adaptation filter'. The story itself is more than fine, I just got the feeling that there was more to come from the narrator that there wasn't space to include here (what with the artwork and all...) I guess that the line has to be drawn somewhere and Peter B. Gillis (he of 'adapting duties') did just that. Not that it's a huge deal in relation to this book, just a feeling that I had. If I ever find a copy of the book, it will be interesting to compare it with the graphic novel...

Despite those itchy feelings at the back of my head, 'The Last Unicorn' is a compelling tale in this format with some sumptuous artwork from Renae De Liz and Ray Dillion reading adding to the dreamlike atmosphere around the unicorn's wood and Lord Haggard's castle in particular. Half the reason that it took my so long to read this book was that the artwork really drew me into the events on the page and I was more than happy to take a little time out and just stare at what was going on in a panel or two, particularly when the carnival was taking place. This book will be staying on my shelves just for that I think.

The story is a bit of a slowburner to start off with (I suspect this more about my usual choice of reading matter rather than the book itself) but draws you in, almost without you realising it, and before you know it, you're living that story with the unicorn, Molly and Schmendrick. It's a very gentle tale, deceptively so once you realise what is going on underneath. Beagle appears to be very into the idea of following the 'rules' of fairytales as he shows in the handling of his plot. I don't think I've ever come across a story where everything is tied off so neatly at the end and that is what you get with 'The Last Unicorn'. It may be a little predictable in these endings but you can't help but love 'The Last Unicorn' anyway, there is a lot to love after all.

My quest for a copy of the original book will continue but I'm really glad that I got to read this adaptation in the meantime. In this current 'grimdark' world of fantasy fiction, I think everyone should read 'The Last Unicorn' (graphic novel or otherwise, I think there's even a film as well) more often for a reminder of how the magic of fantasy used to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.