Did Not Finish... 'Daggerspell' (Katherine Kerr)



What's that? Another 'Did Not Finish' in less than a week? We'd better have a look at this...
This time round, it was Katherine Kerr's 'Daggerspell' and an abortive attempt at joining in a readalong. This just goes to show that I am rubbish at joining in with others but does it show anything else...? Here's the blurb,

A broken promise, a curse and a magic beyond imagining…
 
The powerful sorcerer Nevyn broke a promise long ago and a curse has trapped him ever since. He waits for the one who might break him free of his prison. A wait that may soon finally come to an end.
 
Jill is the daughter of a Silver Dagger, a band of wandering swordsmen who fight for money, not honour.  After her mother died when she was young, father and girl took to the road, living from town to town, never settling.
 
Jill’s only friends are the mysterious spirits known as Wildfolk: gnomes, sylphs, sprites and undines. Their magical presence in her life marks her out as different; special. but young Jill has no idea what destiny has in store for her.
 
Daggerspell is the first book in the Deverry series. Prepare to be spellbound by a sparkling fantasy classic: a tale of adventure and timeless love, perilous battle and pure magic.

I had high hopes for 'Daggerspell' and maybe one day I'll go back and finish it off. That won't be for a long time though, 'Daggerspell' ended up being very much the case of 'It's not you, it's me'. One thing that I've found out about myself is that if other parts of my life are causing me stress then if a book isn't helping me deal with it (for dealing with it, read 'totally escaping from it') then it's more likely that I'll just put it down and move onto something else. A real far cry from the days when I'd finish a book out of sheer stubbornness but I think I prefer it this way to be honest. 'Daggerspell' just wasn't grippping me and was taking it's own sweet time in getting going; I just didn't have the time to wait for that to happen. And maybe I hadn't given Jill enough of a chance but she seemed to be a little too passive, a character that things just happened to... On to the next book then...

What about you though? Have you read 'Daggerspell' and do you think that I should have given it more of a chance? Leave a comment and let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.