Flesh’ – Richard Laymon (Headline)
After
a read that’s incredibly deep and engrossing, I like to freshen up
a little (as it were) by reading a book that’s exactly the
opposite. Sometimes, you just need a book that’s the equivalent of
a Michael Bay movie to set you up for something that’s a little
more challenging. Despite my thoughts on the last Richard Laymon book
that I read (review here), he seemed like just the writer that I
needed to read in this particular situation. It also helped that I
had a book of his on the ol’ TBR pile that I hadn’t got round to
reading. A perfect storm then? Not quite… Not at all in fact…
No
one in
town has ever seen anything like it; a slimy, mobile tube of
glistening yellow flesh with dull, staring eyes and an obscene,
probing mouth. But the real horror is not what it looks like, or what
it does when it invades your flesh - but what it makes you do to
others.
Now
don't get me wrong, in one sense 'Flesh' did exactly what I wanted it
to. It's a throwaway pulp horror novel that you can breeze through in
a few hours and be ready for something more substantial. But at the
same time, that's probably its biggest problem; every book needs at
least a little substance, to back it up, and 'Flesh' just didn't have
any. Can you have a horror story that's vapid? 'Flesh' certainly felt
like it. When the blurb for a book is only a few lines long, that
really speaks volumes (and not in a good way) about the content.
And
that's the thing, I really wanted to like this book. I mean, if
you're a horror fan then what's not to like about a book where a
parasite gives people a nice buzz for killing and eating other
people? Exactly. The concept is ripe for something really terrifying
but Laymon wastes it on a procession of identikit young ladies who
die (or come very close to it) whether they put out or not. Again,
it's all about titilation over any kind of actual storytelling and it
just left me feeling angry at a wasted opportunity. If 'Night of the
Creeps' and 'Slither' could take the concept and run with it then
'Flesh' really has no excuse. I know those two films are horror
comedies but there are some scares and 'Flesh' didn't even try and
hit that target (Laymon did build up some tension but let it drip
away before the payoff arrived).
I
know it looks daft knocking a book for essentially doing the job I
wanted it to. It just felt frustrating to feel like there was more to
come from 'Flesh' and then for things to just carry on as they were.
Funnily enough, I think it would make a half decent film but as a
book it was sadly lacking.

Comments
Post a Comment