What am I reading at the moment?


A ‘semi-regular’ series that sprung out of me wanting to talk about books before I review them? Or is it just that I realised that the blog was set to Pacific Standard Time and I wanted to post something that didn’t look as if it had been posted yesterday…? You decide ;o)
At my fastest, I used to be able to read a book a day. Then depression happened and I was lucky if I could find a book that I could read in a fortnight… I’m a little bit quicker than that these days but not as quick as I’d like to be (having two children doesn’t help either). Hence one of the reasons for this post and others like it to come, just a bit of friendly chat about what I’m reading and what I think of it so far.

So, what am I reading…?



The Bone Ships’ – R.J. Barker

TWO NATIONS AT WAR. A PRIZE BEYOND COMPARE.
For generations, the Hundred Isles have built their ships from the bones of ancient dragons to fight an endless war.
The dragons disappeared, but the battles for supremacy persisted.
Now the first dragon in centuries has been spotted in far-off waters, and both sides see a chance to shift the balance of power in their favour. Because whoever catches it will win not only glory, but the war.

I’m just under a hundred pages in and what has been a bit of a slow burner so far is now starting to spring into life with questions that you know are going to drive the rest of the book. The world building, and general setting, has been just gorgeous but I’ll be honest and say that I’m glad things are starting to pick up now. At my current rate of reading, look for a review sometime next week.




'Willow’ – Wayland Drew

I watched ‘Willow’ a few weeks ago and was reminded of a far simpler time (the nineteen eighties) where film novelisations were the thing to have if you were unfortunate enough to have missed a film at the cinema; it took a good couple of years for a film to make it to video and then onto the TV (generally for Christmas). I used to love reading ‘Willow’ back in the day so thought I’d see how well it holds up today (if at all). It’s far too early to say but I am getting a nice little nostalgia buzz so that’s nice (and I absolutely hated the majority of the eighties so that surprised me to say the least!) At my current rate of (skim) reading… maybe I’ll have something to say about this book over the weekend.


I’m all about the recommendations here so, what are you reading? Do you think I’d like it? Or are you reading something that you are pretty sure I’d hate and want to trick me into reading it (stranger things have happened)? Either way, or for reasons unspecified here, leave a comment and we’ll see what happens next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)