'The Goon: Occasion of Revenge' – Eric Powell (Dark Horse)



I'm hoping that by now, you'll know that I'm honest in my reviews here. If I liked something then I'll tell you exactly why that is, if I don't like something then I'll do exactly the same thing. Spare no punches etc etc.
Sometimes though, something comes along that makes objectivity a little harder to achieve. And that's ok, half the reason we're here is because we love what we read and when you fall in love, something's faults suddenly become a little easier to ignore.Well, that's me and 'The Goon'.

I've been reading about the Goon's efforts to keep Lonely Street free of the Zombie Priest's minions (and take more than his fair share of the other illicit operations happening in the area) for years now; long enough to see my first collection sold (money being horribly tight at the time) and for me to build up a second collection. It's not quite complete yet, although all the important books are there, which made it all the more special when I found a copy of 'Occasion of Revenge' on Amazon...

The Zombie Priest and his gang are no longer a threat to the good people of Lonely Street... and the Goon, Franky and the rest of their gang. Things are back to normal and all the Goon has to cope with now is the ongoing feud between Franky and 'Revenge S***' Guiseppe.(seriously).
All that will change though when the Zombie Priest's family arrive to make the dark power of Lonely Street their own. This will be the Goon's toughest fight yet, against foes who know the Goon's most secret fears... and won't hesitate to use them against him. There are snakes in the grass...

After the 'Labrazio' arc ended, for a little while 'The Goon' became a series of short stories with no particular theme running through them, still funny and moving (in equal measure) but lacking in a cohesion that would have elevated them to the next level. The 'Occasion of Revenge' storyline is a move back to that and although Powell doesn't give it as much room to breathe, as he does the 'Labrazio' storyline, you can see the difference almost straight away. Suddenly there's a point to everything that's happening, not that I'm against stories with no discernible point but if I'm on a journey, sometimes it's nice to know where I'm actually going :o)

'Occasion of Revenge' is everything that makes a classic 'Goon' tale; monsters getting punched out, a little bit of scatalogical humour and the Goon being put through the emotional wringer. It's a combination that had me laughing and pretending that my room is quite dusty, often both at the same time. I don't know why it works but I'm so glad that it does.

Eric Powell's artwork is as lush and gorgeous as ever, adding that dreamlike quality to Lonely Street that leaves you totally unsurprised when the monsters come to town or when a beautiful lady is seen walking down the street with a vengeful spirit in tow. I could just lose myself in that artwork for hours, it's just amazing, especially when Powell uses a few panels to show us that what is happening for a character; mostly the Goon (the poor bastard).
I've said this elsewhere but if you like comics then there's no excuse at all for you not to be reading 'The Goon' and 'Occasion of Revenge' is one of Powell's best. Just read it already ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.