Last Night was Movie Night!


I needed a movie night after the day I'd had at work. I didn't need the accompanying KFC 'Mighty Bucket' but I had one anyway... What? Actually yeah, I'm a little shamefaced but at least I'm still not smoking. Go me :o)

Anyway... I treated myself to an Amazon Prime subscription the other day, watched a little bit of the first 'Deathstalker' movie and haven't dared go back yet (it was awful). Luckily, I've got an emergency stash of unwatched DVDs for just this kind of situation so grabbed a couple and had myself a 'These two movies have nothing in common' double-bill. First up was...




'Don't Kill It' (2016)

I'd seen this before but the DVD was literally waiting on the doorstep for me when I got home. It was fate...

Dolph Lundgren plays a world weary demon hunter who has to convince a Mississippi town that a demon has possessing townsfolk (and is also the reason for the steadily rising number of killings in the town). The only problem is that whoever kills the demon's host will be the next person to be possessed...

'Don't Kill It' is a a nice mixture of laughs (watching Dolph try to capture the demon host, only for someone else to kill it and become posssessed themselves never fails to amuse) and creepy bits so you never feel like things are getting predictable. Things fizzle out at the end with a finale that wants to be a little bit more (okay, a lot more) than it actually is but there's a lot happening in the lead up and that's all I needed from this film. The DVD is a keeper but next time I fancy watching one man's fight against the supernatural I'll probably watch 'Ash vs Evil Dead' again.


Next up?




'The Purge' (2013)

I'd never seen this until last night but I knew what it was all about and could get behind an annual purge if invited (not that I've got scores to settle but...)

Ethan Hawke plays a smug home security salesman who locks his family down to wait out the annual purge, 12 hours where all crime (including murder) is legal The purge comes to them though and now they're fighting to make it to the morning.

This was more like it. Really creepy, really suspenseful and definitely a film where I found myself constantly looking on the BBC website to check the football scores (Ipswich won, in case you're interested) to give myself a break. If a movie has you yelling at your laptop because the son is a FOOL WHO WON'T TURN OFF HIS TORCH AND GETS FOUND RIGHT AWAY, it's doing something right, no question about it.
After a slightly confusing gunfight at the beginning things settle down into a decent blend of atmospheric jump scares and social commentary. I'm going to have to watch all the rest of the films now and that should tell you what I thought of 'The Purge'.


And now to bed with me, work won't do itself in the morning...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.