Books in the Post – The 'Stressed' Edition.

I'm not going to lie, I went a little bit crazy on Amazon and eBay this week... One thing I've noticed about myself is that I'll buy (more) books when I'm particularly stressed about something; this last week has been very stressful, what with one thing and another so it's no surprise to me that the end of the week sees a big pile of books on my bed. I was also looking for more horror to read, after deciding to give my Guy N. Smith reading a bit of a break. You can see how successful that was in the picture below...



I know, I know... I knew his stuff was on Kindle now but not that you could pick it up in reissued paperback as well. In the absence of a charger for my Kindle (which must be around somewhere...) I went ahead and treated myself to a copy of the paperback. It's crazy to think that in seven years, 'Night of the Crabs' will be fifty years old. What's even crazier is that this means I'll be fifty years old in just six years... At only a hundred and thirty four pages, I'll be reviewing this one very soon.

The two Richard Laymon books were a more successful attempt at getting into something new. I've read a couple of his books (one was about Jack the Ripper, the title of which has totally escaped me) but not many so I thought it was about time that changed. I've already made my way through 'One Rainy Night' so expect to see that reviewed sooner rather than later. 'Flesh' may have to wait a little longer but will definitely get its turn.

I've read my way through most of Robert McCammon's work but have never been able to get my hands on a copy of 'Stinger' at a decent price until the other day when a browse through eBay turned up just that. As it happens, I've just started reading 'Baal' so 'Stinger' will have to wait a little while.
And 'Baal'... The last time I saw a copy of 'Baal', it was in an old person's ward in a psychiatric hospital (I was working there before you ask) and I hadn't seen it since, until a few days ago. Now I've got my own copy, I'm a couple of chapters in already and looking to have a review up in the next couple of weeks.

And last but by no means least, 'Clickers Forever: A Tribute to J.F. Gonzalez'. I loved the hell out of the 'Clickers' series, to be revisited once I can get my Kindle charged up, so buying this anthology was a bit of no-brainer really. I'm no good at reading anthologies in one sitting so will dip in and out of this one and share my thoughts as and when.

It's not all about the horror though,


I'm getting back into reading Michael Moorcock again and 'Nomad of the Time Streams' is one that I always meant to pick up again but never quite managed to. Lets see how we do this time...

And look at the size of 'Legacy of Ash' (kindly sent to me by the nice folk at Orbit)... I'm a few pages into this beast and it's a bit early for first impressions. I've heard good things about 'Legacy of Ash' though so am looking forward to continuing. There will definitely be a review and hopefully sooner rather than later, I'm not the fast reader that I used to be though so no promises on when that review which actually happen, just that it will.

Well, that's that for this week. What are you reading and why should I be reading it too...?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.