Books in the Post – 'Little bit of a Misnomer' Edition


Because I bought one of the books from a charity shop, any excuse to use the word 'misnomer' in a post...

It's felt like a bit of a quiet week for books turnting up on the doorstep/being picked up in charity shops etc; mostly because I've got other things to spend my money on as Christmas (and my youngest daughter's 6th Birthday) gets ever closer. I'm pretty pleased with what I picked up though. Lets have a look at them...



'The Vanishing Tower' – Michael Moorcock

Elric of Melniboné, proud prince of ruins, last lord of a dying race, wanders the lands of the Young Kingdoms in search of the evil sorcerer Theleb K'aarna. His object is revenge. But to achieve this, he must first brave such horrors as the Creatures of Chaos, the freezing wilderness of World's Edge, the golden-skinned Kelmain hordes, King Urish the Seven-fingered with his great cleaver Hackmeat, the Burning God, the Sighing Desert, and the terrible stone-age men of Pio. Although Elric holds within him a destiny greater than he could ever know, and controls the hellsword Stormbringer, stealer of souls, his task looks hopeless - until he encounters Myshella, Empress of the Dawn, the sleeping sorceress... 

I'm pretty sure I already have these tales in one of the Del Rey collected editions but I couldn't resist the cover and it was only a couple of pounds from the British Heart Foundation shop. 'The Vanishing Tower' is just the right size for a 'bus read' so I will be reviewing this one sooner rather than later.



'Bethany's Sin' – Robert McCammon

Even God stays away from the village of BETHANY'S SIN.

For Evan Reid, his wife Kay, and their small daughter Laurie, the beautiful house in the small village was too good a bargain to pass up. Bethany's Sin was a weird name, but the village was quaint and far from the noise and pollution of the city.

But Bethany's Sin was too quiet. There were no sounds at all...almost as if the night had been frightened into silence.

Evan began to notice that there were very few men in the village, and that most of them were crippled. And then there was the sound of galloping horses. Women on horses. Riding in the night.

Soon he would learn their superhuman secret. And soon he would watch in terror as first his wife, then his daughter, entered their sinister cabal.

An ancient evil rejoiced in Bethany's Sin. A horror that happened only at night...and only to men.

I may have stopped reading Guy N. Smith, for now, but that doesn't mean that I've stopped reading 'pulp horror' altogether. I'm not sure if 'Bethany's Sin' falls into that category (it's been years since I've seen a copy, let alone picked one up) but it was incredibly cheap on Amazon so I couldn't say no. It's another slim read so expect a review maybe next week?


'Zombieworld: Winter's Dregs' – Bob Fingerman

The end of the world is near. The dead walk the earth and feed on the flesh of the living. The remnants of humanity struggle for survival in a sickening nightmare that has become reality. The birth of a terrifying new world is at hand. Zombie World, the comic-book series that set the standard for comics of the undead is back in a massive trade paperback.

I've moved around a lot, over the last three years, and 'Winter's Dregs' was in a box that somehow got lost along the way. I love that book, you'll see why when it finally comes round to being reviewed, so couldn't let a cheap copy on Amazon get away from me.
I've got a lot of comic books that I want to get to before 'Winter's Dregs' so don't expect to see this reviewed for a few weeks.


'Champions Vol 2: The Freelancer Lifestyle' – Waid, Ramos etc

Because the world needs heroes, they are the Champions! Ms. Marvel! Cyclops! Nova! Spider-Man! Viv Vision! And the Totally Awesome Hulk! They're young and idealistic, and their movement is gathering pace -but the newly minted Champions will get a harsh dose of reality when they're forced to face a throwdown with the Freelancers!

I still haven't read Vol 1 but again, another cheap book on Amazon that I couldn't help but pick up. 'Couldn't help...' I could totally help it, what am I talking about...? Anyway, to be reviewed once I've reviewed the first collection.

So that's that for this week. Any of those books catch your eye?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.