A Book Cover and A Book Cover about Book Covers...


Don't worry, I am still feeling it :o) It was a long day at work yesterday and I didn't have a lot of time left for other things last night, hence this post. That's not necessarily a bad thing though...

Every couple of weeks, work takes me in the direction of Wimbledon which I love for a number of reasons, not least of which is the Waterstones and scattered charity shops on the high street which feel like they have been placed there just so a chap like me can spend his lunch hour having a stroll and a browse. My best book find, so far, has been a copy of 'The Goblin Emperor' for 20p but I digress.

Yesterday's stroll saw me wander into Waterstones and find this on the 'hardback shelf'...


Now, I'm not sure that it's a book that I'd buy (at least not right now, some books are just made to be purchased in paperback...) but that's not what I'm here for. Just one look at that cover took me back to a far simpler time when a six or seven year old me, and my Mum, would walk up the hill to the library bus to borrow books for me to read. That was where I first started reading sci-fi for the first time and not just any old sci-fi. The reason I'm writing this blog is because that bus came with a hefty collection of Doctor Who books, all of which had similar covers to this one. So if I say that 'The Target Story Book' gave me a real buzz of nostalgia (which I suspect is the whole point of that cover, cynical old me...) you'll understand why I hope.
What about you though? What books, if any, have a similar affect on you?

The next book though, is a whole different kind of nostalgia buzz. No warm and fuzzy feelings here...



'Paperbacks from Hell' (somehow found while I was buying Christmas presents, for my daughters, on Amazon) doesn't look like much to start off with but look closer and you will see that it's a cover decorated with covers! That amuses me and gives me a whole different kind of nostalgia buzz; memories of sneaking looks at the horror blurbs on the book racks while my parents were shopping. I will have to find a copy of 'Paperbacks from Hell' and see if I can reaccquaint myself with some old friends...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)