‘Offspring’ – Jack Ketchum (47 North)

 


Page Count: 293 Pages

I told you that I was all excited about reading ‘Offspring’… :o) Excited enough that after another ‘one of those days’ at work yesterday (there’ll be a few more of those this month, I think), I stepped away from my work laptop and settled down for a read. 

And…?

I should have picked something different to read, last night, but not for the reasons you’re probably thinking…

The former sheriff of Dead River, Maine, thought he had killed them off ten years ago – a primitive cave-dwelling tribe of cannibalistic savages. But somehow, the clan survived. To breed. To hunt. To kill and eat. And now, the peaceful residents of this isolated town are fighting for their lives…

If it ain’t broke and all that… ;o)

In ‘Off Season’, Jack Ketchum struck gold and discovered the formula for telling a gripping tale of survival horror; one that turns your stomach while really showing you just what a person will do to make it through the night. Well, time may have passed in Dead River but that formula remains the same and one of the ‘clan’ survived the original massacre… The scene is set then for more of what made ‘Off Season’ a great read, and Ketchum duly delivers. It was brilliant, another read that I happily sat and ploughed through over the course of a single evening.

So, why was I moaning that I should have picked up another book instead? Well…

The bottom line is that the formula works so well, in the hands of Jack Ketchum, that there is literally nothing new I can add to what I had to say about ‘Off Season’; especially as I only posted those thoughts yesterday. Seriously… Scroll up a little bit and read what I had to say, just substitute ‘Offspring’ for ‘Off Season’ ;o)

That shouldn’t take anything away from how good ‘Offspring’ was. I’ll be honest, I got so into it that I checked the last few pages to see who made it, that’s how engaged I was. It just doesn’t necessarily make for a great blog post here, when I’ve essentially read the same book twice over the last couple of days. Sorry about that. Luckily, there isn’t a sequel to ‘Offspring’, I think… Either way, I’ll have something different for tomorrow ;o)

If you enjoyed ‘Off Season’ and want more of the same (exactly the same), I can confidently say that Ketchum has you covered with ‘Offspring’. If you didn’t enjoy ‘Off Season’… Erm, you probably weren’t going to read ‘Offspring’, were you? I’ll leave you to decide what side of the fence you’re on ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)